SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
appletree729

Munchkin oakleaf hydrangea and sun

appletree729
8 years ago

I would like to plant a long hedge of something out in front of our house - ideally, a long blooming variety of some sort, with summer flowers would be great. It also has to look good when not in bloom as far as foliage goes - compact and somewhat lush and not leggy. We are in zone 6b - southeastern pa, and the area receives 3 to maybe 4 hours of afternoon sun (depending on how far into summer we are) with the rest of the day in dappled sun. My original thought (obsession) was to plant little lime hydrangeas but after researching a bit more, I'm not convinced that they will be receiving enough sun there to flower well.

So then I discovered the munchkin oak leaf hydrangea, a bit more compact than a normal oak leaf, and supposedly good for hedges (plus, the flowers are gorgeous!). Was very excited because I always think of oak leafs requiring less sun, but then I read that they should be in full sun? Is that correct? Does anyone here grow them?

Any suggestions on different plants for those conditions would be appreciated as well - it's a long space and I want to plant it wisely - it's about 70 feet long!!

Thanks so much for any tips :)

Comments (9)