SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tbtblando

Craftsman/Briggs RPM rise and subsequent failure to restart after shut

tbtblando
8 years ago

Hi everyone. I have a Craftsman 917.273642 riding mower with a B&S Intek 31P700 series motor with about 329 total hours. Half way through mowing I noted, with ear protection on, that the mower suddenly became louder with a noticeable increase in RPM with no change in forward speed. I came to a stop, disengaged the mower blades, noted an additional RPM increase which I expected due to no blade load. This new idle RPM was higher than the typical engine idle I was used to. I then shut down the mower and looked for obvious signs of misfortune. Belts were attached, no leaks of oil or items of the like. I let the mower sit while I continued the remainder of the yard with the push mower. A while later, with still no leaks or obvious signs of damage I attempted a restart. This resulted in continuous starter turn over accompanied by a clunk with each rotation and a failure to successfully restart. I have not been able to make a detailed inspection yet , but wondered if anyone had come across this sort of thing and could give some possible places to start troubleshooting. Thank you for your help.

Comments (2)

Sponsored