SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dollerprod

Draining Pool - Terrified

Hi Everybody
9 years ago

Re-doing tile (waterline and steps) and must drain pool. Also, may paint the surface (plan to open a different thread for questions on that).

I am nervous about the pool popping out of the ground. I believe it is a fiberglass pool. I am embarrassed I cannot be 100% sure of that. I thought it to be concrete, but upon first swim (recently purchased), I noticed some paint peeling on the surface, and behind seems to be the shell of the fiberglass pool.

SO, I have read that many fiberglass pools have a hydrostatic plug built in the main drain, but I do not think that mine does, although I wouldn't know how to determine this.(?)

The tile work is being done by a "tile man" (whose work I am confident in), but not a pool repair person by primary trade, although he has in fact done pool tile previously for sure.

What can be done and what is the best approach to drain the pool without having an in-ground pool become above ground? What can I do?

I live on the east coast of Florida.

Here's a video I took to show the GF the paint surface flaws in case it helps at all:

Comment (1)