SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kiwi_bird

X-Post: Different wood species for floors and trim?

kiwi_bird
8 years ago

kHi everyone! We are finally making finish decisions on the Scandi-modern/rustic new build- I can't believe we are finally getting so close! One thing left to decide (or maybe I should say, one thing left about which to doubt my vision) is whether or not to have different wood species for the floor and areas where we will have natural wood trim. The floors are wide white oak in a natural tone, the doors and most of the windows are black, and the minimal trim around doors and baseboards is white. We will have a handful of spots with natural wood trim- the handrail on our stairs and around the overlook into the stairwell is drywall with a wood cap for example. Also thinking of cladding the back of our island (where feet will be when people sit at island) in wood (rest is painted white). I had been planning to have such areas be walnut in a natural stain (kinds 60's-ish I guess), but the other day my GC (who isn't a designer or anything) looked at me weird for not having those areas be white oak like the floors.

Thoughts?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations