SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nongmoorganics

Organic Compost? Organic produce? Is It Really?

Jeff
8 years ago

Hello, I am from Kansas City, Mo. I am starting a garden this year after the monsoon ends LOL.

I have been trying to find a source or truly organic compost in my area. I have found several on-line but all of them use questionable sources for their composting.

Specifically they cannot assure me that the material they compost has never had pesticides or herbicides sprayed on it previously. I know there are claims that hot composting destroys these horrid chemicals, but some are what are known as "persistent" and do not break down so easily.

Another concern is manures from livestock. Chickens raised commercially have antibiotics, hormones and even arsenic (for harder egg shells) added. Similarly beef that is not free range has antibiotics and hormones added. Let's face it is near impossible I assume to collect manure from free range animals.

So is there anything truly organic in organic gardening?

****GMO=Gross Monsanto Organism (Genetically Modified organism)
I know a lot of people suggest adding cotton burr to soil in my area, but this is most likely GMO cotton and most assuredly has had tons of pesticides sprayed on it prior to harvest. I am not sure where to go from here...it seems to me organic is really hard to come by even in the home garden. If I am having trouble locating organic sources what about "commercial" organic farmers...is their produce really organic?

I am interested to hear other's thoughts.

Thank you, Jeff

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!