SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lonejack2

How many corn seeds per spot?

I am a fairly novice corn grower. In the past I have always started my corn in deep cell packs indoors and transplanted into raised beds at 2 weeks because I always followed Broccoli immediately with corn in late May, early June. Now I have a new 1000 sq/ft in-ground plot for my corn that I am planting in 4 quadrants over a 5-6 week span.

I planted my first Ambrosia corn patch (~160 total) on May 1 with just 1 seed per spot at 8" spacing and only got about 60-70% germination. I also started 3 dozen in 3606 deep cell packs to fill in the skips on May 3. I got 29 plants (80%) from the cells and transplanted them last night.

I am seeding patch #2 tonight but I am not going to start any indoors to fill the skips this time. I am planning to put 2 seeds in each spot this time and plant at 1.5" deep rather than 2" that I did last time. For you long time corn growers, how many seeds do you usually plant per spot to minimize the skips? Also when thinning the doubles to you pull them out or clip them off with garden shears at ground level?

Last question. I soaked the first planting overnight. The seeds are treated so the soaking washed off the treatment and turned the water a lovely red. I think the soaking was a mistake and contributed to the poor germination. Is this a correct assumption that I should not soak treated seed?

Mike

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus