SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
markjfun

Growing healthy crabapple trees from existing roots

Mark J.
8 years ago

Hello,

When we moved into our house two years ago, there were two crabapple trees planted in the front yard. For the past two years, I have attempted to keep them alive through the winter without success - see my previous methods below. This year the tufts of 10 - 15 suckers are coming out of the ground again, but this time I want to help them grow strong so they can survive the winter!

More facts: I live in Aurora, CO and we have clay soil. There are two full-grown adult cottonwood trees on the front yard also, but the crabapples are planted about 12 ft away from their trunks. The crabapples are on the west side of the house and they get partial to full sun from about mid-morning onward. There are definitely some established roots there and the suckers grow quite well.

PREVIOUS METHODS:

In 2013, I didn't do much to help the trees until the first week of October when I laid mulch rings 2" deep around the base of the sucker clumps. On the same day that I installed the mulch, I trimmed back all of the suckers at the root ball except for one spindly shoot coming out of the ground for each tree. The shoots were about 2.5 - 3 ft. tall but only about the diameter of a pen or pencil. I wrapped the tiny shoots with tree wrap, which looked comical, but I didn't what else to do. Over the winter, one was either nibbled on at the trunk or it was so weak that it snapped, and the other was no more than a dead twig in the spring.

In 2014, I watered them pretty well with dribbling hose technique to soak the ground, and they also got water when I watered the front lawn approx. twice a week. In July, I trimmed back all but about 5 shoots that each looked stronger than the ones from the previous year, hoping that at least one of the 5 shoots would survive the winter. I diligently kept trimming the suckers until winter. Also, in October I installed 4 ft tall chicken wire around the mulch circles to keep rabbits and hungry critters away from their tender stalks. This spring, the shoots weren't nibbled, but again they were basically dead twigs attached to the root ball.

What should I do this year to help them grow strong enough to survive the winter? Add fertilizer pellets? Amend the soil? Diligently trim all suckers starting now (early May)? Let them grow into thick bushes and wait to prune until next year when they're more established?

Thanks,

Mark

Comments (9)