SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenniedhs_7_tn

Cucumber Mosaic Virus

Jennie Sims
9 years ago

I have been trying to figure out what is going on with my Russian 117 heart. It has not grown properly since it was a seedling. The stems are fusing, mega blooms develop, and the foliage is twisted just like 2,4d herbicide damage. The first twisted leaves appeared when it was just a tiny seedling while still in my 2nd floor storage room. My storage room has been sprayed with insulating foam, so is airtight. At that time, it was too early for anyone to be spraying lawns....still winter here! Planted out in it's container (20 gallon fabric) in mid April and while all the other tomatoes are thriving, this one is not. New growth starts out fine and then starts twisting and curling. On this site they said expanding leaves become twisted, curl downward, and develop a shoestring appearance. Which is just what this plant is exhibiting. http://www.hfrr.ksu.edu/doc1615.ashx I have only one neighbor who uses a lawn service and they came in late March. I am pretty much ruling out 2,4d damage as all the new growth becomes deformed and all of my other tomato plants are fine. This plant is now infested with aphids. I have never had aphids! A few question, is CMV a possible culprit? If so, could this have started from the seed? (I had terrible germination rate, 1 plant out of 4 seeds) Or is it more likely transmitted by the aphids? Does the virus stay in the soil or do I need to empty the container and put new sterile mix in? What precautions should I take?

I have had 2,4d damage years ago from the manure added to the potting mix. All the plants were affected that year. I am almost positive this is not 2,4d damage. Here's a picture. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Jennie

Comments (3)