SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidfoss

is it possible to increase my zone (zone 7b)

David Foss
8 years ago

I really like palms, bananas and other tropical plants. but the only problem is that i live in Norway. I live on the south coast so its much warmer than the rest of Norway. but still its Norway, and still its usda zone 7b. But lets come to my question, is it possible to increase my zone, by using electric outdoor heater? I'm going to build a big wall and trying to get a wind free garden, facing south-west by using 4 200w heaters on the bottom of the wall (the wall is going to be about 5 meters. and the heaters are automized so they will turn on when the temperature is under 40F or 5C). Will it be possible to use plants that are rated for zone 8,9 or even 10? the average temperature here (Lyngdal,Vest Agder) is over freezing the whole year, and this winter the lowest temperature was 14F and that was only one night. I know that you can use the tracy for my zone, but i already got some of those, and they are slow growing, and not the most beautiful. Cordylines could be a try, but they would probably die if we get a winter with minimal temperature at 0F. which palms do you recommend to try? and would the heaters protect them?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus