SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlc712

Mother's Day expectations

jlc712
9 years ago

What are you planning for or hoping for this Mother's Day? How do you balance celebrating your mother, MIL, and what you'd like to do for yourself?

I'm feeling a bit out of sorts about this weekend. We are spending it with my in-laws, due to several circumstances. I will put on my happy face, but I'm not thrilled about it...

Comments (58)

• lascatx
    9 years ago

It has never been a big day for me. It was always for my mom and DH's while she was still alive. Last year was my first Mother's Day without my mom, and my dad passed just days before. I made the mistake of looking at Facebook and finding open flood gates. This year, I will be driving home with a load of stuff form my youngest son's dorm. Just bein' a mom and glad I will get to see one of them.

That reminds me -- youngest son called earlier this evening to say he will be singing a solo at his church job Sunday, so I will hear him sing then and in a concert the night before. That's all I really need, And maybe avoid Facebook -- just in case.

• jlc712
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hope you all have a very nice day celebrating!

I am very lucky to have a wonderful mother, and I would like to be with her, but we'll celebrate another day. I have a great MIL too, and she is thrilled we're coming to visit and help out.

I think I'm just feeling a bit unappreciated overall. Too much going on in our lives! Thank you for reminding me of what's most important.

• Related Discussions

My Mother passed away recently. The pain is worse than I expected

Q

Comments (13)
    I haven't lost either of my parents yet, but the time is coming and seems to be advancing faster and faster. My father has had several close calls with death since November of last year and my mother's health is going downhill rapidly. Both have different health issues but the one thing they have in common is that we lost my sister to cancer this February at the age of 47, and then lost my son suddenly July 18 at the age of 30. My son lived with them and helped me take care of them. I have been their cook, errand runner, doctor visit taker, medicine getter, everything for years. I do not live in the house with them but saw them twice a day everyday until my son passed. I have been trying to heal myself so I can begin taking care of them again. Since my son's death both have been in the hospital for at least a few days each. We've had high points and low points in our lives and relationships but now we are closer than we have ever been. I know it's inevitable that they are going to pass, the question is when and will I be able to handle it? Having gone through the death of my sister who suffered horribly for several months before her death and then when I felt like I was beginning to process her death, my son choked to death. That threw me into a tailspin and I am learning to get through each day, one day at a time. I have learned that everybody grieves differently and at a different pace. If I feel the need to cry, I cry. If I feel that I can't get up and go, I don't. I do try to get some exercise everyday, walking the dogs is a good excuse for me to do it. I find that when I don't excercise I feel worse. Even stretches and yoga are enough to release endorphines to make you feel better. I want my son's pictures and things around me. I wear his sunglasses and have his pillow so I can smell him. My parents have my sister's ashes in their living room and Daddy puts his glasses on the box they are in every night. I do believe that when my parents pass, I will have the tools I need to cope. I will miss them more than anything but it won't be a new experience for me, other than it will be my parents passing instead of my sister and son. I spoke with my doctor and she gave me anti-anxiety meds to try for a month to see if I can get through the day without a breakdown, they seem to help but if they stop working I will consider antidepressants to help me cope. My thoughts are with you all who have lost your parents and I know I will be in your shoes way too soon. I just know that as bad as I will miss them, they are not happy being unable to care for themselves and be independent like they were their entire lives. It has to be hard for them to turn to their children to do all the things they used to do for us, even though we try to give them all the dignity we can. I will soothe myself by knowing they were not happy or healthy in their last few years and they will no longer be in pain or struggling to breathe.
    ...See More

My favorite Mother’s Day gift ever

Q

Comments (2)
    Lovely. I was hoping for ideas for my own DMIL gift this year but this isn't going to happen. I guess flowers it will be.
    ...See More

Happy Mother’s Day!

Q

Comments (13)
    Happy Mother's Day to all you KT'ers! You all have a virtual invite to share in my good fortune this Mother's Day! But......since we are all practicing social distancing, I know that I won't have to share this delicious rhubarb pie that Daughter brought to me this morning. Also brought 3 kinds of her home canned pasta sauce and 2 dozen meatballs.
    ...See More

Mother’s Day Cooking Q&A

Q

Comments (11)
    My mother was an awful cook. She fried almost everything, yet she was slender as were my sister and I. She had a 5-6 dish rotation: smothered steak (fried round steak cooked in brown gravy until tender-ish); fried pork chops; fried chicken; fried frozen shrimp on Friday nights (we are Protestant but she served fish on Friday); over-cooked, shoe-leather tough roast on Sunday; and at some point every couple of weeks, the worst spaghetti you’ve ever tasted. There was no such thing as a casserole. Green salads were rare to non-existent. I never could understand the penchant people had for mac and cheese when I was growing up. Here is Mother’s recipe: Cook elbow macaroni until it is flabby. Drain and put in a rectangular baking dish. Beat 2 eggs. Add milk. Pour over macaroni. Top with a few slices of very mild cheddar cheese. Bake until the macaroni is hard again. We had an abundance of vegetables because we had a huge garden (couple of acres) that we shared with the people who worked for Daddy. Mother did not can food, but she froze a lot of vegetables. I ate a lot of fresh tomatoes growing up. We had them for every meal, including breakfast, when they were in season. I would sneak into the garden, find a good one and eat it like an apple! Then there was fried okra; fried field corn (corn cut off the cob and cooked in a skillet with butter or bacon drippings); pole beans; yellow squash; cucumbers, butter beans (harvested when they were tiny) and crowder peas. For such a lousy cook, Mother had very high standards. Vegetables had to be small and tender. Tomatoes had to be vine-ripened unless they were being used for fried green tomatoes, in which case they had to be truly green and hard. Fruit had to be unblemished. We had no processed foods ever. I didn’t know what American cheese was until I was 23. It wasn’t that Mother was purposefully a healthy eater. She just didn’t like the taste processed foods. Mother never baked a cake from scratch, except a coconut cake at Christmas. The coconut had to be fresh (as in ”first you buy a coconut…”) and finely grated by her own hand. Her pie crusts were always from scratch and always flaky and tender. She had 2 pies she made, lemon meringue and chocolate. Biscuits and cornbread were made without a recipe and were always perfect. Mother’s best dishes were her potato salad and her cornbread dressing. I can’t make either one to save my soul. My sister comes really close on the cornbread dressing. Mother was over 90 when she died. She was living by herself in her own home, doing her own housework and cooking her own meals (still nothing processed). She did the light portions of her own yardwork but hired a really good-looking, very buff young man to do the heavy lifting and mowing. We teased her that she found things that needed doing just to get him to come to the house! I suppose my ”rebellion” is not cooking like Mother did. But I wouldn’t mind having her yard man mow my grass. 😉 ETA: My sister just sent me these pictures of Mom. She may have been a lousy cook, but she went some interesting places!
    ...See More
  • blfenton
    9 years ago

Let's see - I haven't celebrated Mothers Day in years. I can't stand my MIL so I send DH to spend the day with her and my own mother has early stages of Dementia at 86. Although she still lives on her own, I am her primary caregiver. The early stages of Dementia has her constantly complaining about things and me. I am patient enough to make sure her life functions smoothly but not patient enough to tolerate being constantly criticized.

It doesn't bother me not celebrating Mothers Day as I don't do well being the center of attention, what bothers me is the deteriorating relationship with my mother and my relationship with my MIL started to deteriorate the day I married her son. Oh well, sometimes life just sucks. (Can I say that?)

• User
    9 years ago

Though I am a Mom, I have never felt the day was about me. It was always about my own Mom. This will be my 19th Mother's day without her, she passed 20 years ago early June, and it's just not been the same without her. My hubby and kids insist every year that I should allow them to celebrate me, but it doesn't feel real anymore. My Mom and I were very close and still miss her so very much.
    Hubby did already give me a Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2" tablet, which was very nice of him as he's known I wanted one for some months now. It will come in handy when traveling. Though it's not light, it will still be much easier then taking my laptop.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

We will be going to an all you can eat buffet with my in-laws. It's just awful but it's what they always do. Mediocre food served in a cattle call atmosphere. They get you in and get you out to turn over the table for the next group.

I'm sure it wouldn't be my MIL's first choice but it's the path of least resistance with my FIL so she does it. Except for Easter, I know he won't eat a meal here so I don't offer. My SIL is the busiest person on the planet, to hear her tell it, so she doesn't offer to make a meal for her mother and, like my FIL, likes AYCE buffets. It makes me a little sad that my MIL knuckles under to those two and their wishes but I can't change that family dynamic.

In the evening, I will make dinner for my Mum.

• 4kids4us
    9 years ago

Though dh and the kids do their best to make Mother's Day special, I've never really spent it the way I would love to...at home, relaxing with my family, with dh grilling something for dinner. Most years, we have gone to my parents' house. In my family, we have five birthdays in May (including my own) as well as my parents' anniversary. We usually celebrate them all, with my parents and my brother's family, on Mother's Day. While I love to see my family, it's usually a busy day. My kids always have games.

This year, my kids have five (!!) games on Sunday. I actually love to watch my kids play so spending Mother's Day on a sports field doesn't bother me. However, this year, the way the games are scheduled and their locations, means I can only attend one, maybe two. I hate having to choose one kid over the other. To top it off, dh has a business trip to Europe and he has to be at the airport by 5pm. I'll probably end up,getting carry out for dinner. Fortunately, my parents decided not to do the Mothers Day gathering this year b/c we are celebrating my father 80th birthday Memorial Day weekend. My sister and her family are coming from out of town, so my mom figured since we'd all be together in two weeks, we'd skip Mother's Day.

So niño thing special this year but that's ok with me. I don't like being the center of attention. The only thing I don't want to do is cook or clean so,if I have a day without that, that's enough for me!

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I'm becoming less and less interested in these Hallmark holidays. Mother's day has never been my holiday. My only child may or may not bring me flowers and a hug and that's fine with me. DH's mom died only a year after we were married so we only celebrate with my mom. Mom, her husband and my brother will come over, Mom will bring me a plant and I'll cook lunch (my gift to Mom). I suppose it's a great excuse to get together and that's always nice.

This year's lunch menu will be very simple: Crostini w/ whipped feta and tomatoes, diced watermelon, Parmesan chicken w/ salad and lemon vinaigrette and lemon chiffon cupcakes.

• hhireno
    9 years ago

MagdalenaLee, you are killing me! I want to eat at your house and not the AYCE buffet of slop.

• bpath
    9 years ago

My poor mom. All through our childhood we celebrated Mothers Day by making her breakfast in bed: Rice Krispies, orange juice, and buttered toast. She hates milk, Rice Krispies don't satisfy for a busy mom, the orange juice and pulp separated, the toast was cold, and she had to hang out in bed while she waited for us. She's a go-getter and it probably drove her nuts. My own family makes me breakfast (DH is a good cook) but we eat together at the table, and they always make me a really clever card (DH is also very creative). I used to take the day off from doing dishes but...it was twice as much work the next day to do them all lol!!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    9 years ago

I've never made a big deal of Mother's Day, birthdays, or anniversaries. Living and loving in harmony, each day, is what really counts. There's my sappy sentiment for the day. ;)

We'll be having our usual Family Dinner, with me hosting and doing most of the work, but everyone contributing covered dishes. Since it's Mother's Day, I asked my mother to choose the menu. And let me just offer a thank-you prayer, because she is so easy to please--she wants sub sandwiches made with my homemade bread, baked beans, and potato salad. She normally makes the pies for our monthly Sunday dinners, but I'll order her favorite bakery cake, instead, so that she can have the day off.

My MIL passed away 10yrs ago this year. I miss her so much, but I'm happy that she didn't have to go through the agony of losing her eldest son, my husband, almost 5yrs ago. My FIL, who will be missing her even more, will be here for dinner.

OT-Just this morning, I was thinking about people who have passed, with whom I'd like to spend a moment to say, "Thank you, you made such a difference in my life." Grandmother, MIL, and aunt (my second mothers), certainly, but of them all, DH still tops the list.

• OutsidePlaying
    9 years ago

It's always a bit sad for DH and I as our mothers passed away within 5 months of each other 20 years ago this year. They were both wonderful and we still miss them.

Our kids are always so busy with their own families it has never been a huge deal with me. Our 2 sons & their families (my step-sons actually but we raised them) are also very close geographically to their MILs so they usually spend the day with them but they always call me and send cards. My DD is close to us so if she doesn't have to work at the hospital we get together with her and DGD. This year she is cooking for us on Sunday so we will be together. She is a wonderful cook. I don't need anything, so usually just cards and small gifts (if anything at all) that she knows I will like or find fun will be a surprise.

• happy2b…gw
    9 years ago

My Mother's Day expectation is not to start a fire. Years ago when the kids were little, my husband who is a good cook, decided to prepare something special for dinner- roast duck. I thought that's a nice gesture but what does he know about roasting a duck- I mildly questioned his technique when he placed the duck on the oven rack and a shallow cookie sheet under it to catch the grease in the electric oven. He assured me that he had researched this. He shooed me off to relax and enjoy my day. All seemed fine for a time- aromatic scents wafting from kitchen- until lots of noisy commotion and instruction to gather the kids and vacate the house. FIRE IN THE OVEN. The grease had spilled over and ignited. Although the dinner was a failure, luckily we were all safe, fire extinguished, and no damage except to the duck.

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

My Mother's Day expectations are very low. For the last 20+ years I've worked Mother's Day at my sister's breakfast restaurant. It is super busy, and usually we have a lot of fun that day. Years ago, we'd all go out for a drink at our favorite Raw Bar with our mom after. I think this year Mom, her DH, my sister, brother-in-law and niece will all come over here for a casual cookout. DD is off on her own and probably working so I won't see her, which will make me sad. I don't have gift expectations really. DH offered to buy me some wheels for my convertible, but we've got a lot of yard stuff going on that probably should take priority. The kids usually come up with cards. I'm happy to be here with the Family, don't need much else.

• busybee3
    9 years ago

no longer have either of our mothers here on earth ... will remember them tho... :)

have one of my kids graduating this weekend-- an excellent mother's day gift! and, hopefully sunday will be a nice day--- will probably try to get in a long walk with one of my kids and hub and some other outdoor activity!

all of my pots are still empty- between now and sunday, I hope to buy and plant some nice flowers to add some more color to the outdoor spaces!! I'm also hoping for a call or even just a text from the child I will not see this weekend!! :)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Chiming in on the 'it's for my mom, not me' bandwagon. I have 1 adult 'child' & if he remembers me that's fine. My mother always gives me something as well, but I'm all about making it a nice celebration of her - she's 84 & like others here, I'm so glad to have her still, that I just want to make her happy.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

4kids4us - your idea of how to celebrate Mother's Day is my kind of celebration. To me, it's all about getting together with family and to just (hopefully!) enjoy the time together. We don't have children and I lost my mom just over 4 years ago. I miss her every single day and this time of year I get a little emotional. We will take my MIL out Friday evening. I have a couple of dear friends of my mom's (since grade school!) who mother me and dear friends whose kids let me mother them and we will all be acknowledged. Gorgeous weather here so we will be spending alot of time outdoors this weekend. If you still have your mom, I hope you are able to see/talk with her Sunday.

• lyfia
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I guess I should mention I don't celebrate mother's day in the US for my mom. I celebrate that on her local mother's day. So in the past mother's day has always been about my MIL. I don't really have high expectations of mothers day and I'm usually a go with the flow person, but I also don't want the added stress that comes with certain things and we do this antique shopping thing almost at every celebration of somebody in the family on the US side. I'm just being very selfish and using being a mother as a request to at least get out of it once. I used to like it, but no longer do.

And it looks like my suggestions have been adopted at least by the sons in the family. Hopefully it will please my MIL as well.

• LynnNM
    9 years ago

DH's mother passed many years ago (she was wonderful and I loved her and always enjoyed my time with her). My mom and much of my family still live in Michigan. We'll be visiting them all in a few weeks, but I did send her a special card, arranged for my sis to get her a huge basket/pot of flowers and I'll call her on Sunday, of course. We "kids" think the world of our mother and enjoy spoiling her now, so she'll have many of her children, grandchildren and a few great-grandkids there with her on Sunday.

As for my own Mother's Day, if the weather holds up, Emily will be driving home here from college for the Summer on MD. Her last final is tomorrow and then she is helping her (sorority) little sister move into their house on Saturday before she leaves. BUT, they live in Norman, OK, that just barely missed one tornado last night (very scary for her and for us!). They also had walnut-sized hail, torrential rains and high winds. More is expected today and through the weekend. I hate to have her drive the 8 1/2 hours home here in that kind of weather, so we may be postponing Mothers Day until Monday.

As much as I miss my mom and siblings in Michigan, one positive is that my Mothers Days are all about me. DH is an excellent cook and he makes me my favorite breakfast of Eggs Benedict, some fun little gourmet lunch and then for dinner, I always ask for the same thing: steaks out on the grill, Caesar salad, grilled sweet potatoes, a nice bottle of wine and Strawberries Romanoff for dessert. DS is living and working now in Augusta, GA, but he'll call on Mothers Day. It's my day to relax and spend time with my husband and daughter, putter in my garden or read, depending on the weather.

I wish all of you moms out there a very lovely, restful and Happy Mothers' Day!

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Blfenton, take the day with your mom to talk about things - remind you of old family stories, fill in details you may not have heard because you were young, perhaps ask questions you never have. My mom had Alzheimer's and it hit her much earlier. I had years of being able to talk to her but not being able to have a 2 way conversation. My MIL also had Alzheimer's - she had been hinding it a long time before it was diagnosed (using that term loosely since the only definite diagnosis is still done in an autopsy -- if one is done). I may never have known her without it. I could digress, but suffice it to say I've been there. It does suck sometimes, but look for the lass half full. Celebrate what you can, share what you can and ask any questions while you can. When they are gone, there will be more questions.

Annie, loved you post. My mom loved dogwood trees. I have tried several times to plant one but never kept one going. This year, we were at garden centers and I saw the prettiest little dogwood trees. I told DH I wanted to try one more time as a nod to my mom and maybe, with her blessing, it would be the one to make it. DH wound up getting into the idea and we increased our odds with three in the ground now -- and so far, they all look happy. The heat of summer will be the test. If we make it to spring and beyond, every bloom will be a tribute to my mom (and indirectly, my dad).

Magdalena -- isn't spending time together what it's really about? Sharing time and a good -- wait -- great, meal is hard to beat. Enjoy.

Lynn, so glad no one was hurt in that Norman tornado. Everyone safe is a great Mother's Day. We know several kids at OU and one is a family friend who is about to graduate. Hope they get graduation in between all these storm systems.

• Funkyart
    9 years ago

I am not a mother-- but I will spend the day with my mother. There are four of us "kids", 7 grandkids and 1 great grand kid but I will likely be the only one to actually spend the day with her. One sister will be out of town with her kids for a sports tournament, brother is out of state and my other sister is a new grandma and will likely visit her out of town daughter and grandson (who will be 3 weeks old on Mother's Day!). I haven't fully planned the meal yet (yikes!) but since mom loves quiche and doesn't get it unless I make it, I will likely do a quiche and a special salad of some sort. I am considering the mini gratins Mtn posted a few months ago but that may be carb overkill-- though it is a bonus because I could freeze some for my niece, the new mother!

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

4kids - Oh how I miss those days! DH and I would divy up the kids and the sports schedule and when all the games were over we'd have a simple cook out at home.

One of my favorite memories was the time the coaches from opposing sides got together before the game and arranged to have the boys from both teams stand in the middle of the pitch during half time and sing "Happy Mother's Day to you" (to the tune of Happy Birthday). Our coach did admit that it was his wife's idea.

On another occasion the high school ice hockey team stood at center ice after the game and stamped their sticks and yelled "Thanks Mom" . There's something about seeing young men in full hockey gear taking a few moments to thank their moms that still tugs at my heart.

Now that my three are in their 30's I consider myself fortunate that while they all live in various parts of Philly they're only 10 miles away (although it is over the river and through the city).

This year the eldest has new apartment and he and his wife have invited both families over for ..........well, I'm not sure what they've planned but it does include food, beer and wine. I just haven't heard if it's brunch, dinner or dessert. We'll probably find out Sunday morning..

• Yayagal
    9 years ago

For me, I prefer to treat it like any other day. I'm so blessed to have my two sons, one daughter and three grands live nearby so we see each often. Ten years ago I said "no more gifts", there's nothing in the world that I need but my daughter still gives them. Our parents are gone so the love I had for Mothers day is gone. I loved both my mother and mil. We're working on springtime chores here and then we'll go for a nice meal later today and walk the beach for a while. That's all I need. DH and I have been together for 56 years, marriage made in heaven. May all of you have a happy and blessed Mother's day.

• violetwest
    9 years ago

Not having a mother or MIL anymore, I expect a nice phone call from my two DDs, with motherly blessings received by me and bestowed on them, since they are both mothers. Anything more is gravy.

• blfenton
    9 years ago

For those of you who are wondering - the sports games never stop. My sons are 26 and 27 and on Mother's Day one has an Ultimate game at 11 and the other has a soccer game at 6:00. So much for all getting together for a meal! Oh well. I'll go to the Ultimate game but the soccer game won't work.

• 4kids4us
    9 years ago

Bpathome, I had to laugh at your comment about doing twice as many dishes the next day. While mine will clean up the kitchen that particular day, I can't tell you how many times in our married life dh will say after dinner, "leave the dishes, I'll do them." Sometimes I just do them myself (by dishes, I mean all the pots, pans and prep stuff, not the dinner dishes which the kids take care of). As I'm cleaning the pots, dh will say, "I said I'll do them." But many times it means, he leaves them in the sink to soak overnight while he cleans up the rest of the kitchen. And guess who des them the next day? Me! So I'd rather get them done right then than come downstairs the next morning to a sink of soaking pots, etc.

I also try to do laundry on Mother's Day and always get scolded. Yet until they step up and do the laundry for me, I'd rather just do it b/c it just means more work the next day. With four kids, I have to do laundry every single day. If I skip a day, it's too much back log! Thankfully though, my oldest now does her own laundry and I just taught my 14 y/o ds yesterday how to,do laundry. He was complaining I hadn't washed a particular favorite shirt (if you don't put it in the hamper, it doesn't get washed!). I marched him down to the washer and showed him how to use, I told him if he wanted to wear the shirt last night, he could do his own load. And he did! But of course, he took the shirt and left the rest in the dryer for me to fold. LOL

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

My mother died when I was 19 YO, and my MIL will probably go to my SIL's house; she usually does holiday gatherings with her own mom and our MIL.

My very thoughtful daughter just emailed asking about Sunday--one of her 3 roommates is a motherless daughter herself and my girl wrote that she feels badly that all the other roomies will be celebrating Mother's Day while K can't. So I suggested either a nice lunch somewhere or perhaps going to see a movie matinee, my treat of course. That would be a great Mother's Day for me particularly because I know exactly how fraught and depressing it is to experience the day when your own mother is gone. If that doesn't work out maybe I'll go out to dinner with my husband, or maybe not. No big deal either way.

Then too, with both my kids grown and launched life is so much less hectic and stressful that every day is a mother's day gift because I don't have to work so darn hard any more! To all of you 'active duty' moms, bless you and hope you are shown in some way how special you are and that your devotion and efforts are appreciated.

• Springroz
    9 years ago

DH presented me with my "Mother's Day" gift this morning.....a slightly used little tiller!! I had a neat Honda mini-tiller years ago, and I mentioned " if one showed up on CL....." , and he found a returned one at Tractor Supply! It is not a Honda, but it was less than $100!

Other than that, I don't think much will go on. DS( who lives with us) has to work, and will wish me well as he goes to work!

• eld6161
    9 years ago

Usually I am in charge of both Mother's Day and Father's Day. This year I decided to take a back seat. My youngest will be away but I overheard my DH and oldest making plans. So, it will be a surprise for me. I'm looking forward to it!

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I told DH and two of my three kids that I want to do something on Sunday -- a "field trip" -- together but I haven't decided what I want to do yet. It's going to be 88 degrees here in Boston! We may drive up to Newburyport or Rockport but I don't really want to battle beach traffic. I brought my middle kid home from college today, so as far as I'm concerned, that is my gift! So happy to have him home for the summer (this was his first year and we all missed him). My DD, the youngest, is the one who gets the most excited about the day and she will make me something or ask DH to take her shopping for a gift. My oldest son has "issues" and typically either disappears on Mothers Day and/or ignores me, or is mean to me, so I'm hoping he's just not around. Sounds terrible but that is just how it is. If we go somewhere and he happens to be around, we will invite him, of course, but he probably will "have other plans."

I am going for a 24 hour escape with 5 friends tomorrow and that is our gift to ourselves!

Food wise, my DD loves to cook (she's 14) and will probably make me breakfast (last year she made me a great omelet, which she called a Momlet), and we will either go out for dinner someplace casual or DH will grill.

My mother and MIL have both been deceased for a very long time.

• kkay_md
    9 years ago

My DD invited my husband and me to Longwood Gardens up near Philadelphia (she's in graduate school at U-Penn). It was a pleasant surprise; we'll be doing it on Saturday because she has exams next week and needs to study on Sunday. So after our day with her, we'll just continue on to NYC where there is Plains Indians exhibit at the Met that we have wanted to see. Looking forward to the weekend.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

I am enjoying reading about everyone's plans and Mothers Day stories. DH surprised me with a box of Shari's Berries yesterday.

I just checked the weather for my son's area -- They have a risk of heavy thunderstorms, hail and tornadoes today and tomorrow with a 100% chance of rain Sunday. I will have a happy mothers day if I don't see a tornado, don't get bonked in the head -- or my car--by hail, DS is at least partially packed and we can get everything and out of the dorm. The plan is to leave him with one suitcase for flying and one box to ship sheets and such home. I hope this works!

Crazy weather. Hope the rest of you have nice weather or can stay out of it.

• Faron79
    9 years ago

My DW/DD are going to Mpls/St. Paul for DW's "surprise" Mothers-Day gift! They're gonna see Carmen @ St. Paul's Ordway Sat. nite. DW & I were in Mpls last weekend (I had Fri, Sat, & Sun off), & saw "Jersey-Boys" @ the Orpheum in dntn Mpls. I have to work all this wknd...:-(

Goin' down June 3rd for The Stones though!!!!!

Faron

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

When my first DH was still living he grilled steaks and made his "Famous Potatoes" for his DM and me I miss him so much and Mother's Day, or any other day for that matter, just isn't the same.

My DM passed away in 2004 so Dh and I will be taking his DM, DF, his brother and sister, her family and my two DDs and their families for lunch. We always have a nice time and it's all over and done with by early afternoon. I am sad that my first DMIL is in a nursing home and not well enough to join us.

I had a wonderful surprise today. My DS drove up from DE to have lunch with me because he can't make it on Sunday. It was extra special because it was just the two of us. It really touched my heart that he thought of me.

I have to echo the thought that Mother's Day isn't a big deal to me. Just knowing that I have four wonderful children and four wonderful grandchildren with twins on the way is what really counts. Also my darling step daughter will call me on Mother's Day. I wish she lived closer but I am blessed to have her.

• Bonnie
    9 years ago

For years, our Mother's Day celebration included my parents and DH's parents. We were fortunate that they enjoyed each others company, and we would have them here for dinner. My mother has been gone for 10 years now, and DH's mom (long widowed) is unable to travel here. So he went to her house and took her out to lunch on Thursday.

One of our 3 DD's asked me what I would like to do. I asked if the girls could come here for a low-key brunch, and they all agreed (one is coming now for the weekend-a bonus!) As is our family tradition, I asked for donations ( in this case to Nepal) in lieu of gifts. I chose a main brunch dish from our local newspaper, which DH will make (an asparagus frittata): http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/food-dining/2013/05/07/recipe-for-asparagus-and-goat-cheese-frittata/S7hH2QijrByxfvjanyvyOO/story.html

The girls will bring the fruit, pastries, champagne and the fixin's for mimosa's and we will kick back in the sunroom and enjoy the day.

Wishing you all the very best as you celebrate in the various ways you choose!

• ladypat1
    9 years ago

My mom is 93, and for me it is all about her. I will be grocery shopping, and my daughters will be preparing the food. Doing it at my house, cause it is just easier. Relaxed day, and my daughters always come up with a nice gift. They feel like it is about Grandma too, and I like that. Plenty of time for me in years to come.

• localeater
    9 years ago

My DH and two DS's are taking the truck to the dump today to shovel up a bed of compost for me. Our town collects for its compost pile and adds to it from brush collection days, leaf slippings etc. All that black gold is free for the taking!

A big pile, plus spreading it on all my beds, and covering with mulch as a family will make my day delightful.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I always plant my flower pots/vegi garden Mother's Day weekend. I shop for myself and feel no guilt at the money I spend--for "mother's day"!!

• User
    9 years ago

Just heard from DS1, who is coming for a few days after all and will be here around midnight. my mother is coming down for lunch and will spend the night. DD and fiance are staying home, she is at the tail end of a very bad cold/ flu (worked from home all last week) and has a midterm coming up. DS2 is still at college, having just finished finals. He is taking a couple of summer classes and there is only a day or two between the end of spring semester and the start of summer term.

Like others here, Mother's Day to me is about my mother, not me. I am very lucky indeed, as my 82 year old mom just got back from a birthday week celebration trip ---hers----in Savannah with two of our cousins. She missed our choral society performance Thursday because she was out of town and missed our party last night because they went to see a Broadway touring production of Pippin! She is currently taking a philosophy course at my alma mater in their cntinuing education division, and is in excellent health. Knock on wood..... We will have a cookout and perhaps watch a movie under the stars on the deck at home.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

KSWL, I want to be your Mom when I grow up.

Thought I'd post this, in case someone else can use the idea. My 7th grade daughter's teachers had each kid pose for a photo sitting on the blacktop, with the kid, then a big heart drawn in chalk, then a big "U" in chalk. It was cute.

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

So cute!

My plans have evolved for tomorrow and my family of 5 is going to walk/explore along the "harbor walk" in Boston, hoping for cool ocean breezes as it is supposed to be in the 80s, then meeting my BFF and her family of 4 for dinner at a restaurant on the waterfront. Best of both worlds -- family and special friends!

When DH and I were in Charleston a couple of weeks ago, we saw a small painting in a gallery that stopped us both in our tracks because the woman in the portrait looked so much like me!! We took pics of me posing next to it and had a few laughs...I texted the pic to a bunch of friends who agreed that it looked just like me. So...DH called the gallery last week and the painting is my Mothers Day gift from him!

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

SueB, We have to see the painting! Plus, I am confused, didn't you just go to Charleston w friends? It's so hard to keep track of your peregrinations...

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

Um, I had to look up the definition of that word and now I say: Look who's talking!

I went to Savannah with friends in March, and to Charleston with DH in April.

• MtnRdRedux
    9 years ago

SueB you are gorgeous! I actually like the painting. It has a fun vibe that seems like the "you" that comes across here at least.

The word? Just helping you with your SAT's. LOL

• luckygal
    9 years ago

Obviously
    my criticisms of Hallmark over the years found fertile ground in my
    kids as I don't always get flowers or even a card. However, over
    the years they have proven their love for me many times by actions
    for which I am always grateful. Two out of 3 will visit in the next
    2 weeks so that will be lovely.

There
    is a family function tomorrow to which most of the family will go but
    it's too far for me this year so I will celebrate by thinking good
    thoughts of previous Mom's Days, dress in a favorite outfit, let
    other non-family cater to me, and have an enjoyable day regardless of
    all the media hype. I'm old enough to not let other people's
    expectations, or even my own unrealistic expectations color how I
    feel. I have so much to be grateful for.

Does
    anyone else remember dressing up for church, always wearing a hat,
    and a carnation corsage whose color signified whether one's DM was still
    alive. White if she had died and red or pink if still alive. And
    we'd usually go to a restaurant for lunch which was less common than
    today. None of that generation are here now. That day was very
    special when I still lived at home with my parents. After my
    marriage my late DH always made it special by giving me carte blanche
    at a garden centre and either eating out or doing all the cooking.
    It was one of the things I missed the most after he died, not just the
    buying of plants but the love that came with them.

Hope
    all Mothers here have a wonderful day whether or not they have to DIY
    or someone does it for them.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Sue...the painting is great and so thoughtful of your DH!

My Mother's Day will be spent at home as usual. Sons will be coming with wife and gf for dinner. DH will make me a special breakfast and then later he will bbq. DH also doing most of the cleaning and prep and yesterday brought home flowers for the table.

Happy Mother's Day to all!

• User
    9 years ago

Lol, mtn, I want to be my mother, too.

Great portrait, Sueb20, even if you didn't sit for it, the attitude is definitely you!

• riosamba
    9 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

A big snowstorm just hit; it will probably keep us from celebrating with my parents in the mountains tomorrow. I feel like a lost little kid in a store honestly, I just want my mommy! Nevertheless, middle DS will make the day special. Hand I are the most wrapped up in holidays, and I know he has been planning some surprises.

ETA: The storm was nothing! We are off to the mountain!

• lascatx
    8 years ago

"I will have a happy mothers day if I don't see a tornado, don't get bonked in the head -- or my car--by hail, DS is at least partially packed and we can get everything and out of the dorm."

I came back to check the boxes: I did not SEE a tornado (I did sit one out in the basement of my son's dorm and had a funnel cloud pass over our hotel during the night), I was not bonked by hail and my car wasn't damaged (I was told there was hail with that funnel cloud, but I slept through them). We did get everything in the cars and got our son down to a single suitcase for travel and one box to ship his bedding home, but he had not started packing. OK, 3 out of 4 seems pretty darned good given the circumstances. We even got a break in the rain to load the cars and made the wise decision to gat a hotel room and stay put til morning. The system we would have been driving though is the one responsible for the Van tornado where they still have missing people. I was told after we got home about folks driving trying to get a hotel room along the way and sleeping in their cars. Scary thought wien you can't see a tornado coming or flood waters coming in the dark.

I will always remember this Mother's Day -- as I'm sure will so many others. I hope your day was a good one, and my heart goes out to those who did not fare as well.

• User
    8 years ago

My day was quiet and wonderful, Daughter and SIL came for a bbq, SIL wants to build a fire pit in the back yard so we can share evenings around the fire and I thought that was a really sweet Mother's Day gift, but they came with more! A couple of flower baskets for the porch, pink petunia's SIL picked out, and boy are they gorgeous! And they also got me a new charm for my Pandora Bracelet. A limited edition heart with an inscription on it along with a beautiful card. It was a very special day indeed. And the food was good too!