SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19986411

USDA 88-2 (Lee x Nova) at Costco! OK if on Macrophylla?

User
9 years ago

"Wow! What a find!" I thought as I browsed the citrus section at my local Costco; stopping out of my love of citrus, as I was already familiar with what cultivars to expect there. Lee x Nova? I had talked to Ce-ce (sp?) at W&N a couple months back and she told me this was only available to commercial growers, so I was surprised to not only find one but two there!

Wondering what rootstock it was on, I pulled up the W&N Rootstock Colors chart on my phone, and saw the blue marking which indicated Macrophylla; my excitement was then softened, not knowing much about this standard rootstock.

What are your thoughts about this combination? I'm guessing commercial growers use Macrophylla for it's vigorous growth? But I'm reading that the quality of fruit is lowered as a result.

Something else that stood out to me was that the description says, "moderately seedy," however UCR says it's seedless. The description about the budwood source doesn't match either.

So, should I keep it, or "throw it back" and continue my grafting attempts onto C-35?

Comments (20)