SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

Help! Can light placement, need help asap! Xpost

lisa_a
8 years ago

I knew in advance that once the walls were opened up, we'd know whether my grand plans for outlet, switch and can placement would pan out or need to be modified.

We've lucked out on outlet and switch placement for the most part but we've run into a problem with can placement. I've reached out to my KD but she's super busy right now so I may not get an answer back in time so I'm turning to you and the good folks on the lighting forum.

Here's what we had planned:

Here's reality:

The 4" cans laid out as planned but we didn't have that kind of luck with the 6" cans. These cans are intended as path lighting/general lighting.

The cans along the fridge wall (right side of drawing) could not be moved to 39" OC from the wall as planned due to 3 sets of double joists running top to bottom. We were shy of room by 1/4". ;-p I don't want to go to 4" cans. We have 9' ceilings, it would not provide enough light spread without adding more cans.

So we left one can in place - the one in the lower right corner near fridge cab - and moved the one over the DW in line with it (top to bottom).

The one by the oven wall is existing so that determined placement of the one near the cook top (top of page).

The 2 left ones, top and bottom on the drawing, are new. The electrician put them 48" away from the cans to their right (the recommended distance), which sounds good until he cut the holes and I realized how close the top can is to the 4" can over the counter. They nearly line up and only have about 24" between them.

We can move them over 3" at most before hitting a joist. Or we can put them on the other side of the joist, which puts them beyond the recommended 48" distance. However, when all the lights are on, that placement would give us better overall coverage.

Here's a construction mode pic of the cans along the cook top wall:

I painted in the extra holes so as not to confuse you. The black circles approximate where the cans might move to. The wire you see on the wall is approx where the hood will be.

I think I want to move the cans over to the left but I'm not sure if we should move them 3" to this side of the joist or move them to the other side of the joist.

The other option that just occurred to me is to move them farther from the wall so that they create more of a circle around the island instead of a backwards C as they currently are.

Please help! I'm not sure what to do and I need to figure this out by sometime tomorrow (sooner rather than later, it's the last day for electrical rough-in).

TIA!!

x-post on lighting forum.

Comments (11)