SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bernardyjh

Phalaenopsis Newbie - Need Help with Repotting

bernardyjh
9 years ago

Hi All Orchids Folks!

I've recently brought home a Phal that has bloomed and is almost done with its flowering shelf life from my office. The flowers have bloomed for more than 3 months now, I'm surprised how long they could have lasted.

It has 3 spikes, 2 of which have flowers that are pretty done with its time, and 1 left with a full string of flowers going strong.

I re-potted them yesterday into 50/50 fir bark and sphagnum moss. I've read up a little before I repotting. I've soaked the mix in water/super thrive for about 20-30 mins.

Please see the following post for pics of the roots health. I'm completely new to trimming orchid roots. I'm coming from a perspective of trimming cactus/succulents roots when I repot - I'm pretty relentless to any scarce/dried looking roots. From my understanding, that green roots = healthy orchid roots. I trimmed so much because they were hardly any green left.

I'm going to let it rest for a week, before I slowly introduce it to slight shade with Sun. It sits in the office in a dark lobby with mild lighting, so I can avoid shocking the plant too much.

I hope I've been offering the plant the best possible chances. Comments and advised are strongly appreciated!

Cheers - Bernard

In New York, I believe it's Zone 6b

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting