SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chayaholm

Calylophus berlandieri--Onagraceae

Holly
8 years ago

Is anyone familiar with this plant? I have one in my drought tolerant garden in Los Angeles and I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to purchase more. My local garden center can't get it and it's nowhere to be found on the internet. It seems to be a Texas native plant. If I can't purchase it, I'd be willing to try to propagate it. Does anyone have any leads or advice?

Thank you!

Comments (12)

• User
    8 years ago

How long has the one you already have been there? I always get volunteers seedlings around mine, I just thinned out a couple dozen in fact and potted 3 up for a friend. The best way would be seeds from the one you have, I think they need cold stratification so maybe your winter is not cold enough? If thats the case try the refrigerator.

• Holly
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have had it for at least 3 years. But I've never had a single volunteer! Now it's possible that I have the wrong plant. There are quite a few of this type that I see on the internet, but this one fit the description of mine the best, so I'm pretty sure that's it. Could definitely be the lack of cold. We don't go below low 40s. I will try the seed in the fridge idea. Thank you.

• User
    8 years ago

I bet thats the problem not cold enough or long enough, its a subshrub in the evening primrose family. I've got two other types of evening primrose and they all need cold or so I read. Mine all self sow. The seeds are in a easy to overlook, hard tube thing that looks like a stumpy stem on the calylophus, its sort of difficult to break apart but there are tiny seeds inside. They germinate easily. The other primrose have fluttermills, you can't miss those.

• lazy_gardens
    8 years ago

San Marcos Growers might have it.

http://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=3794

http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=CABE6

Propagation Material: Seeds
    Description:
    Propagation by seed is most successful if sown in fall. Take
    cuttings on new growth in early spring, sometimes in January.

Commercially Avail: yes

• Holly
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you, I tried them both but no luck!

• User
    8 years ago

Try burying a a section close to the top of a couple stems, use a rock or something to keep the mid part of the stem underground. I have a lot of success on many plants doing that, its less trouble than trying to root cuttings. If it will root by cuttings the buried portions should root in a month or so. Also you might inspect the base and see if you can try separating and digging up a rooted section to start a new one if its a large established plant.

• Holly
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Excellent suggestions and ones that I was considering myself yesterday as I was out in the garden. It is a large, well established and healthy plant (and it might be the last one on the planet!) so I will try both of the methods you suggest. Thank you again for taking the time to respond

• Holly
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you for the thought nevertheless! I am going to try to propagate more myself. I really do love this plant!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    8 years ago

WE had barely cold this winter and they still sprouted. just a couple of freezes really, but there was a period of cool nights. Usually this plant is TOO friendly about its sprouting habits. It also loves the alkalinity. And I bet it would like your decomposed granite.

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

If your not picky on the species, High Country Gardens sells Calylophus hartwegii and C. serrulatus which are similar to your C. berlandieri. Though, you may have to wait until next year to order them.

• HU-328428104
    2 years ago

Living Tree Nursery in San Juan Capistrano sells them

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional