SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steph2000

Staron Solid Surface - looks like quartz?!?

steph2000
9 years ago

So, I'm trying hard to nail down both layout and material choices while my partner focuses on hiring help so we can finally move forward with ordering and force momentum to move our prolonged DYI'ing to a conclusion. I met with a designer on Friday to see the bamboo in person (I think I liked it, but I'm nervous) and we put together some samples.

I brought home what I thought was 2 quartz samples and 1 solid surface. However, today when I sat down to research the first pick in counter samples, called Staron Confetti, I realized it is actually a glossy solid surface material and NOT a quartz. (The quartz sample is chipped and scratched, by the way) It appears this material is manufactured by Samsung?

My first impression of this sample is extremely positive. I like the idea of an affordable alternative to quartz in my modest home in my modest neighborhood. It also feels less cold than the quartz, which is a consideration in an Alaska clime. And...solid surface has the ability to allow a little cove at our backsplash window if the counter isn't dead on for the backsplash window or we want a little protection there. Not to mention the fact that we are going to have a funky U with that bump out and solid surface can be seamless. Those seem like rather big pluses, but I've never heard of this product - and just saw mention that solid surface could be glossy for the first time via a comment by Trebucket I came across this weekend.

Does anyone know anything about this product? Are there problems with it or areas of concern I should know about? Is there known problems with going glossy on solid surface counters? Does it make it difficult to buff or sand when there are scratches if there's a glossy finish instead of matte?

Staron Colors · More Info

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!