SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindygreenestudio

Kitchen Layout - thanks for your input!

I successfully remodeled two bathrooms seven years ago, and credit the GW forums for my education. Family demands pulled me away from the forums and I am so thankful to find them still available as we face a large remodeling project.

We are an active retired couple, with grown children who visit regularly but live out of the area. We are remodeling a 1950's ranch house in our neighborhood while living in our current home. It's a major remodel but within the current footprint, and we have hired an architect/design firm since the scope is way beyond our DIY ability. We are planning to use the contractor we have successfully used before.

I would love some input on our kitchen plans. The current kitchen is hideous and the most inconvenient layout possible. Our architect has created a layout that I am basically happy with, but I think some tweaks are in order. The footprint of the kitchen is firm - it is surrounded on three sides by dining/living room, entry, and laundry room, with an outside wall that cannot be moved. We are removing the current partial wall between the kitchen and dining/living areas, and creating an open area. I'm planning to use Ikea boxes with custom door and drawer fronts, an induction range and a large single sink.

A major factor of the kitchen is that it is also the "hallway" to the family room, laundry room, and backyard door. To accommodate the traffic pattern, we have created the work area of the kitchen with the cabinet run and island, leaving a 48" aisle for the traffic. Upper and lower cabs on the inside walls. There will be a 15" run of lower cabs/drawers on the outside wall, with a new 6' window letting in natural light. I absolutely want a second sink, which is by the door to the family room hallway, and we will create a beverage area there with all the coffee/tea/wine/glasses etc, and possibly a beverage frig.

Where do I put the dishes? Can i get away with a small trash pullout (our area does not separate recycling; it's done automatically at the trash facility and we don't use much metal/cardboard etc)? Is there a better place for the microwave than in the lower cab near the living room? Most of the time I cook alone, so I'm comfortable with 42" between the island and counter.

I've rambled enough, but would appreciate any suggestions and comments from any of you inclined to look. Thanks!

Comments (8)