SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ellegeorgean

Confused about my taxes?

Elle Georgean
8 years ago

I'm a single mom with a one and a half year old that I have full time. Her dad is pretty much not around and hasn't even given a diaper to her. That said, I am doing all I can to raise my daughter on a very low income, to the point that my bills are behind and I'm struggling just to cover the costs of daycare. When I filed my taxes I was hoping to receive a small amount back in EITC just to help with daycare and diapers so that the small paychecks I receive could be put towards emergencies, a new vehicle, the future, etc. Unfortunately, I received only $800. I've done a little bit of research on this matter but I'm still so entirely baffled as to why I couldn't receive more. My income for 2014 was more than $3,305 but less than $9,720 (according to the qualifications found here: http://www.savingtoinvest.com/earned-income-tax-credit-stimulus/). My father had passed away earlier in the year and, while I was left without an inheritance, I had managed to make almost $6,000 through an estate sale. Because of that money from the estate sale being over the limit for unearned income (I suppose that's the correct term) is this why I was unable to receive anything for claiming my daughter? Is there any way to file any type of claim to somehow be approved some sort of refund to receive more? I'm just trying to get whatever I can to put towards daycare and overdue bills so that what I make now can go towards the future for my daughter and me so that I can make a better life for her and more of an independent life for myself. I just need to get my foot in the door somewhere so I can bust my butt climbing the ladder—rather than constantly falling behind—before the grey hairs kick in, and I was really depending on more of a tax return to give us a small boost.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
More Discussions