SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gchmom

pursuing perfection - when is it good enough

lmgch
9 years ago

clearly, we've had some (many...so, so many) issues and errors with our cabinets. but as we're getting close to finish, I'm trying to figure out where and how to manage my quest for perfection.

specifically, the grout went in yesterday, and my knobs when on today. and i saw issues with both right off the bat. but i wonder if i'm taking issue with minutiae and that i need to accept good-enough.

our backsplash tiles are large. and in an ideal world it would look like one giant smooth sheet. but there are several spots where the tiles are not exactly perfectly even/flush. GC said they can try to crack off some of the tiles and relay them. but the issue is, our walls are not perfectly level. in image here, you can see how seam on left is flush and virtually invisible. but seam on right is not exactly flush, and therefore more visible. this is driving me nuts. like totally nuts. but my KD is saying that i need to let go. that there's not such things as perfect. i obviously realize that. but is this something that will drive me insane for forever. will i ever stop staring at this?

here's another spot where tiles are not flush and it's really bugging me

and then for the knobs... they are not all perfectly exactly 10000% centered. and i see it. i can see it.
this photo shows that these two look centered. but then compare to shot of single knob below.
see how this single knob is more toward the edge of the door? i mean, you can see that right? but can't fix it now. and it is making me nuts. like really annoyed.

will others see these things? will they always drive me crazy? are these truly things that shouldn't matter so much? my mother and the KD (not one in the same by the way) are telling me to make an appt with my therapist and try to relax a bit. but i can see these things and it's making me crazy!!

Comments (30)