SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
btelbtel

Need help ID-ing and first attempt at propagation

Bryce
9 years ago

Hello everyone, Excuse the rambling I'm about to do. I've been slowly inheriting a green thumb from my mom, who can get just about anything to grow, and I decided to have a go with succulents. I ordered some cuttings online for me and some for my mom and while I was at Home Depot getting pots for them I noticed that they had a pretty good selection of succulents. Had I not already bought some online I would have just picked them up then and there but I'm really excited about my cuttings so instead I stealthily checked for dropped leaves that looked in decent shape and was able to pick a couple right off the stem.

I ended up with 6 leaves. I have no idea what they are ( I completely forgot about checking).

This was the day I got them (w/o flash, with flash)

These were the two I picked myself. It's been a day so I strongly doubt they are calloused enough, I was going to give it a week and then check again.

I think these two might be calloused enough. Both were dropped leaves that I picked up. The top one is a bit soft so I'm not too sure about it. The bottom one feels good and when I saw it, it was hanging on to the mother plant for dear life by I little sliver of stem that peeled away.

I'm not so sure about these last too. Again they were dropped leaves and they looked like they may have calloused. From this side the top looks pretty good but the underside has a cut and a bruise, I don't think I'll be able to get anything out of it. The bottom one is a bit soft and is pretty bruised up. I'm not sure if that was from being in my pocket or what.

Anyway, my question is what's the next step? My room has two windows and stays pretty bright for most of the day. I had them in the window yesterday but today it was pretty chilly and a little drafty so I moved them towards the heater in my room because they felt cold to the touch (NE Ohio weather is being ridiculous, last week it snowed).

I think my game plan is to wait for them to start to root and then move them to some succulent soil and then if anything comes from that, move them to my big planter. In the meantime should I be doing anything? It's taking all my willpower not to keep messing with them but I'm determined to try and make it work.

Thanks in advance :-)

Comments (8)