SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dajohnsonsac

Cycads not growing!

David Johnson
9 years ago

I have two cycads, one I've had for 2 years now and it's planted in the ground, the other for about 7 1/2 months and it's in a big pot on the front porch.

The two year old one I bought in California, brought it home to Nevada to use as a houseplant for about 6 months, then moved it to Texas where it sat in a pot on a shaded back porch for 2 months and I got one small flush, then I transplanted it into the ground on the the south side of my house. All over town I see sago's growing like crazy, even the smaller ones, then there's mine that has not grown at all since last summer. I've used palm fertilizer and still nothing.

The one in the big pot, I purchased in mid-September of last year and planted in a big pot on the front porch. I thought this one was going to do really well considering when I bought it, it was finishing a flush. So all winter I have been looking forward for it to grow, so far nothing, but everywhere around town they're growing like crazy and in pots too. I treated this one with palm fertilizer as well. Still nothing!

Is there anything that I can do to get these things growing soon?

I've heard that Nutricote 180 18-6-8 does wonders. Is this true? If so, how many little granules do I place per plant?

This is the sago planted in the ground on the S. side of my house.

--

This is the sago in the pot on the front porch, which faces west.

Thank you in advance!

Comments (8)