Muffins without baking powder
11 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (7)
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Discussions
Muffin tops baking time
Comments (4)Is it a 6-hole pan? If so, each hole uses the same amount of batter as a regular muffin tin, but since you only have a 6-hole pan you will need to halve your muffin recipes or make 6 muffin tops and 6 regular muffins. Since muffin batter is leavened with a chemical leavening, you need to mix the batter and quickly get it in the oven. The batter will lose its "umph" if you make a 12-muffin recipe and then wait until the first batch is baked and removed from the tin, to make the second batch. If you decide to make a half-recipe for 6 muffins, and you need 1/2 an egg, you can lightly mix one whole egg in a small bowl and then scoop out approximately half of it and refrigerate the remaining half and use it for another batch of muffins, or add it to French Toast batter or scrambled eggs. I like to use powdered whole eggs when I need 1/2 an egg (1 T. powder + 2 T. water). The baking time is half to three-quarters what it would take for regular muffins - and as already shared, will depend on the consistency of the batter. Test for doneness with a toothpick. If the recipe has a lot of sugar in it, the tops can start to burn quickly. Reduce the baking temperature by 25-degrees F for high-sugar muffin recipes. I also use my muffin top pans for baking hamburger buns. I use 2-1/2 to 3-ounces of dough per bun. -Grainlady...See MoreDoes anybody shake their baking powder?
Comments (24)I don't shake my baking powder, nor any of my other "spices" I use for baking and cooking. I have a nice tupperware container from the 70's that I transfer my baking powder in to, when I get a new can. Then I write the expiration date on it, as I don't bake much anymore since my girls grew up. To me, it is just as weird as the expiration dates that show up now on everything... that "didn't used to expire". Moni...See MoreCan I bake in an oven without bottom heat
Comments (7)It sounds like this is too late for the banana bread but in case it comes up again, here is what I would have done. Before preheating the oven set one rack high in the oven with a sheet pan on it to block the infrared from the top (broiling) element. Then put one rack lower for the bread to go on. It looks like it rose somewhat from the cracking on top. How is the texture? I wouldn't have put foil on the bottom of the oven, many oven manuals say to not do that and I have had the foil melt on when that was ignored by someone who will remain nameless - probably less of a problem when the bottom element isn't being used, but still.. If you have a baking stone (aka pizza stone) you might have put it on the rack for the bread or on a rack below the bread. It would retain heat from being preheated and make some heat come from the bottom. I would have preheated the oven as dcarch suggested to minimize the time the broiler is running with the bread in. Perhaps the roaster oven didn't maintain a consistent heat. While it was hot, the bread would rise, but if the temperature than dropped before the bread was cooked enough to be set up, it might sink down again and stay that way. I don't think the oven caused the crumbs sticking. Perhaps the pan just needed a heavier greasing or greasing and flouring. There isn't any fat in the recipe so any help with not sticking had to come from the pan preparation. I've baked in our toaster oven and performance was fine....See MoreRolled and folded baking powder biscuits recipe?
Comments (10)Thanks, Ann! This reads like a hybrid between the two types. I'll definitely give it a try. As one would expect, your biscuits are lovely. ;) Martha, I'm not familiar with "beaten biscuits". Amylou's linked recipe is pretty much the method I used to use though a wire pastry blender rather than an FP (I don't remember the proportions at all). It sounds a bit baking powder heavy, but I can tweak if it's not just right. It's a good starting place. Ann's biscuits sound like a good blend of not worked and folded. So, of course, I looked beaten biscuits up. :) Talking about developing gluten!! Garden & Gun has a very amusing article about them, starting: The beaten biscuit doesn’t disintegrate into buttery crumbs. It lacks the tang of buttermilk and the lightness of baking powder. It’s a dense holdover from the antebellum era that can require more than an hour of hard work, or a bulky, nearly extinct piece of equipment. Then continues after awhile with: While the delicate crumb of the buttermilk biscuit requires pampering from mixing bowl to oven to table, the work of beaten biscuit–making is prolonged and violent, and was often left to enslaved cooks in centuries past. To create layers in the dough, bakers armed with rolling pins, axe handles, and even hammers whomp and fold it until it resembles a blistered hunk of putty, anywhere from forty-five minutes to an hour and a half. Those hard-earned layers inflate just slightly in a hot oven, releasing steam through the holes traditionally poked into each biscuit with a fork. The effect doesn’t compare to that of baking powder, but a little bit of rise was better than no rise all for nineteenth-century bakers without ready access to leaveners. And today, proponents of the beaten biscuit say that its firm texture and unobtrusive flavor are the reasons why it pairs better with country ham than its flakier kin. “In Europe, you eat ham with crackers,” Worley says. “Beaten biscuits have that crackery texture, and they’re more neutral than buttermilk biscuits. People either get it or they don’t.” https://gardenandgun.com/recipe/the-art-of-the-beaten-biscuit/ Thank-you, Martha, for introducing this to me. When I was talking about the firmer texture, I meant something like what Ann shows. There's some directionality to the crumb, and it's not so melt in your mouth. Trailrunner's biscuits are cut, but barely patted into a cuttable mass. Their texture is more like drop biscuits, but fluffier, at least as I make them, and they're very lofty (loads of water and high heat)....See More- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Stories

GREEN DECORATING6 Ways to Cool Off Without Air Conditioning
These methods can reduce temperatures in the home and save on energy bills
Full Story
LIFESimple Pleasures: The Joy of Baking
Fill your house with a heavenly scent and your heart with cheer by making time to bake
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGBaking Soda: The Amazing All-Natural Cleanser You Already Own
Battle grime, banish odors and freshen clothes with this common nontoxic cupboard staple
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNGet Organized for Holiday Baking
Before you crack that first egg, establish a game plan for stress-free success
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGN7 Striking Paint Colors for Your Powder Room
Whether you opt for a little or a lot, see why the petite bathroom is the perfect place for a fun hue
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESColor Guide: How to Use Light Blue
Whether you call it powder, sky or baby blue, this ultratraditional color lends fresh-faced appeal
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGN12 Items Worth a Spot on Your Kitchen Counter
Keep these useful tools and accessories out in the open to maintain high function without spoiling the view
Full Story
KITCHEN CABINETS9 Ways to Save Money on Kitchen Cabinets
Hold on to more dough without sacrificing style with these cost-saving tips
Full Story
20 Holiday Essentials to Get You to New Year's
Sail through the holidays without a hitch by having these gifting and entertaining necessities at the ready
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMESimple Pleasures: 10 Ideas for a Buy-Less Month
Save money without feeling pinched by taking advantage of free resources and your own ingenuity
Full Story
cloudy_christine