SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Red-Spotted Purple Eggs!

MissSherry
9 years ago

The red-spotted purple that's been flying all around the house for the past few days finally left some eggs on the lower branches of cherry trees. I tried to get a picture of one of the eggs, but I couldn't get the camera to focus right - I'll try again tomorrow. So, I got out another cage to raise these in, although I'll probably leave them on the trees until they hatch. I can't recall any RSP eggs ever being eaten or disappearing.

One of the spicebush swallowtail eggs in my garden has hatched, so I brought it in to raise, but put it in another cage. The bigger ones might wander over to its leaves and eat the little bitty caterpillar right along with the leaf - I've seen it happen. I also found eggs on sassafras where they weren't there a few days ago, so this stealth spicebush swallowtail is still at it!

The red admirals are growing rapidly,

although some are smaller than this one.

The cudweed has finally gotten to a decent size, so I'm hoping for some American ladies in the near future.

The pipevine swallowtails in the cages have all either made their chrysalis or are in the process.

And the luna moth cats are growing rapidly, by their standards at least. There are SO many of them, I'm running water in a big bucket to put the sweetgum in after I cut it for them - my regular small container won't do!

Sherry

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH