SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachem

Cabinets - Chinese, Custom, Semi, & TV Fairyland

beachem
9 years ago

I had a thread earlier about Flip or Flop show and their super low number on remodeling flip houses which didn't match my experience. As a curiosity I went out yesterday to look at stock cabinets stores to get comparison since I have only looked at custom so far. It's been interesting.

My Kitchen 220SF - 20X11 or so. Flip Flop kitchen 350SF

1. Flip Flop - $10K custom cabinets & Island. Wasn't sure if granite counter was included in there. They were hazy about it. No idea about quality

2. Custom quote - $28K - for particleboard covered by melanine for all - doors buy somewhere else

3. Kitchen designer - $35K-45K for Brookhaven - particleboard with melanine - maple drawer - no idea about doors

4. Custom quote $20K - plywood box - maple drawer - wood veneer - not sure about doors

5. Custom - all wood - waiting on price

6. Custom - waiting on price- plywood box - doors bought somewhere else

7. Stock Chinese cabinet at 2 different stores - all solid wood throughout - Sherwin Williams paint - catalyzed finish - $8K

One of the custom cabinet makers told me that all wood cabinets was not recommended since wood expand and contract. He said that they would become loose in the joints and fragile like antiques over time.

My girlfriend from Boston was visiting and she was horrified at our California version of "custom" and at the lack of selection of stock cabinets colors. There was one stock cabinet style that I really liked but they only had espresso and grey. She couldn't believe that they didn't have basic white or cream.

She like Chinese cabinet and as an asset manager, just authorized custom wood cabinets from China for 200 kitchens for one of their apartment projects.

She had no words for our "custom" version. In Boston, custom means that you get all custom, hand made by the cabinet maker all out of wood specifically to fit your kitchen's eccentricities. Particleboard crap with melanine and wholesale doors is not what she would find acceptable as custom.

I would have to say that the quality of the Chinese cabinets that I saw were excellent and were far better than the custom particleboard/melanine cabinets. Considering that I had to remodel due to a flood, particleboard is the last thing that I want to buy and especially at 3X the price.

I would have to agree with her about the definition of custom as well. Her entire kitchen (slightly smaller than mine) from start to finish with full custom and all appliances was $30K.

Unfortunately, due to buying a 48" rangetop, so far none of the stock cabinets I saw had 48" drawers. The largest was 39". I guess this is the price of following GW's appliance recommendations. I probably will have to go custom.

If Scrappy25 see this, was your custom cabinets all wood? or plywood.

Comments (28)