SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
traveler000mkl

Help! Planting sugar baby for the first time (Zone 7a VA)

Mj
9 years ago

I got a packet of sugar baby watermelon seeds and I am excited, but also nervous because looking through the threads, it does not seem easy! I want to plant this weekend and thin to 2 healthiest eventually as I do not have tons of space.

I have a lot of questions!

First, where to plant it? I have few options for planting these. Please note that I want to have 2 vines total due to space. I have full sun site I can place the pot or the plant.

1) 36" wide 12" deep smart pot

2) 24" wide 18" deep smart pot

3) Ground with amendment (currently site I want to plant these are clay, so I would dig hole to fill/amend with the new mix). My reservation with this is that this site is somewhat close to two hibiscus trees about 6-8' tall, and they don't shade this particular spot but I wonder if they would take sugar baby's water.

Second, I think I need to trellis at least part of the vine. I have some mulched area that they can sprawl on but not sure if they would want to. I have nearby grass lawn but not sure if that is good for lawn or vine. I was planning on using cattle panel/poles and do 4' high 8' wide trellis and let some sprawl. Would that be good?

Third, what is the best soil mix to use? I take that they like well draining loamy soil and are a heavy feeder. I was thinking I can do Mel's mix, but maybe I need to do more compost? What kind of compost is best for them? Any certain kind they prefer, or just a balanced mix?

Thanks all!

Comments (7)