SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newattitudeee

transplanting snaps, cucumbers, lettuce and others

Paige Zone 5b
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

hello fellow rocky mountaineers. I have questions about transplanting my seedlings. as a new homeowner, this is my first year being able to plant in the ground in my perfectly tilled veggie patch. My mother is a Colorado native (as am I) with a very strong green thumb. She has been cursing me for the wonderful condition of my soil, telling me over and over that someone spent a ton of time conditioning it long ago so I am extremely excited for a big luscious veggie garden this year.

I started my seedlings in my flower house at the end of march, and finally it looks like we're in the clear from storms to start transplanting. I should have researched way ahead of time because it looks like I would have had a better yield if I had planted early April and directly into the ground with my snap peas. They are nearing 8-10 inches now, and I just put them out last night to start hardening off. I am a very diligent plant mom and since this is my first year, I realized I helicoptered a bit too much and should have let them go outside much sooner.

They are currently sitting in the (eastern) morning sun, but where they will be in the garden will give them full, day long sun with a complete east to west pass over. My stakes are in and my trellis is ready to be built. My babies are ready to climb.

My question is, how long do they need to harden off before they can go into the ground? I was hoping to plant them today but since I just put them out last night, I'm guessing they need to harden off for a few days. What type of "hardening off" should I be doing? Keep them in one spot that is semi shaded and don't move them? Or put them where they will eventually be planted and let them harden off there? I also have butter lettuce and spacemaster cucumbers in peat pots. I know cucumbers need to wait a bit longer but when can/should the lettuce go in?

Thanks for your help!!! This is my first post but will absolutely not be my last.

PS, Here's a picture of my pea babies and my beautiful red columbine which is also in its hardening process.

Comments (31)