SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_j_root

Unique Vine Application - Treehouse Roof

Jeff R
9 years ago

Hi,

I have what I think might be a really fun application for a vine, if I can find the right plant. My son and I have built a tree house:

We've kicked around a lot of ideas for roofs, and one of the ideas that I really like is using a plant/vine to fill in the roofline and provide some relief from the sun. We aren't looking for a waterproof solution, or a year round solution either. I also like the idea of getting some green back into the tree.

A little explanation of the treehouse - it is in an ash tree that was on its way out from the ash borer. The trunk is about 24" in diameter, and the deck of the house is 8'x8'. The deck is about 6' from the ground. The tree passes through the center of the deck, and there are 4 chains that attach from the corners of the deck, run vertically to supports, then all meet at the trunk, about 10' from the deck, and 16' from the ground. The deck is anchored to the trunk at its center, and the 4 corners are suspended by the chains. If material were stretched across the 4 chains at the roof section it would form a pyramid, or hip roof. The tree trunk is currently about 30' tall. The extra section of tree trunk above the point where the chains meet will be removed. Here's another picture that better shows the chains and construction:

As for the roof I'm thinking that I'd like to mount a large planter to the top of the trunk (17' from the ground, immediately above where the chains meet the tree) and plant a vine there. I'd then string some supports between the four chains in the corners of the roof, and as the vine grew from the planter, I would train it to grow down across these supports like ladder wrungs and eventually fill in the roofline.

Our part of Ohio is zone 5b. The sun situation for this area is mixed sun/shade, and it is becoming sunnier as more ash trees are removed from the yard.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a vine that could grow - from a large pot, at the top of a 17' stump, without much attention like watering (other than rain) or fertilizing - to flow out and cover the roof as I have described? Or does anyone have any better ideas for getting a vine up and into the roof of this treehouse? Grown from the ground? I'd like to avoid adding more weight (soil weight) to the tree house structure.

Please let me know any thoughts or advice you might have.

Thanks,

Jeff

Comments (11)