SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cfcurtis

Attaching a lean-to greenhouse to vinyl sided garage

Charlotte
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

We just bought a Halls Silverline 126 lean-to greenhouse (12.5' x 6.5') that we plan to install against the south wall of our garage. We will be using the greenhouse to grow heat-loving veggies during the summer and protect against shoulder season frosts and snowstorms - we will not be actively heating or trying to grow anything during the winter (zone 3).

We plan to use treated 4x4s for the foundation, and we haven't quite decided on flooring material but it will likely be something like sand covered in landscaping fabric covered in gravel with pavers down the centre. We also plan to put in a raised bed along the north wall and tables/benches on the south wall.

One thing we have not yet figured out is the best way of attaching the greenhouse to the garage, which is detached, uninsulated, and unheated (basically just a frame covered in OSB and vinyl siding). From what I've read in these forums and elsewhere it seems like a vapour barrier is a good idea, as might be insulation. Would the following make sense?

- Attach a frame of 2x4s to the side of the garage (either on top of the siding or cut away the siding)

- Fill the frame with insulation

- Cover the insulation with a vapour barrier

- Cover the vapour barrier with OSB or plywood

- Secure the greenhouse to the 2x4 frame through the plywood

Two concerns I have with this plan are whether the connection to the garage would be strong enough to support a potential load of snow, and whether there's a point in insulating just one wall (the rest of the structure is 4.5 mm polycarbonate with a supposed R-value of 1.7).

I appreciate any and all advice, thanks in advance!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus