SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schmohls

What's my chances?

M Schmohl
9 years ago

I have a pair of bluebirds that are attracted to my BB box. They started a couple weeks ago to build a nest in the box. I spotted their first egg last Monday and a second egg the next day. Sadly, on Wednesday, while I was at work, some house sparrows stole the eggs from the nest. I have been fighting with these HOSP for weeks now. They keep building nests in my purple martin barn and I keep pulling them out. They took revenge on my BBs. The same thing happened last year around this time and I wasn't sure what predator did this. So I added a stove pipe baffle, a Noel guard, and a sparrow spooker. This year I didn't put the sparrow spooker up after I saw the first egg. On Thursday morning I saw the sparrows going in and out of the BB box and no sign of the BBs. So I took the BB nest out and left the door open. Friday morning I saw that the male BBs returned to checkout the box. So I quickly put the nest back in the box. The male kept hanging around and I didn't see the female until a few hours later. Then she returned too. They both have been coming and going ever since. They are going in and out of the box and are back to eating the meal worms I put out for them. My question is "what are my chances the female will try to lay eggs in the nest again?" I always thought that if a pair of BBs have an unsuccessful attempt at fledging, they will go elsewhere to try and won't try again at the same nesting box. I don't know if they may possibly try again in my box or they are only hanging around because they have a source food in the meal worms I give them. I also now have the sparrow spooker up and they sparrows for now have not gone into the BB box. At least I haven't seen them.

Do I still have some hope in seeing some baby birds from this BB pair in my box?

Comment

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County