SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnfrwhipple

Adding value to your home with Reclaimed Bricks

There is something about bricks and more importantly reclaimed bricks that I love. I love the age. The shapes. The colours. The texture. When I build bathrooms I typically agonize over millimetres and strive for perfection with every phase of the job. But when it comes to brick work I love the un-perfection. The wavy lines. The broken bits. The crude install practices of many of the great old walls I love so much.

Two years ago I started a project and left it. The bricks cut in half to double my volume and allow them to be clad to my homes new and old foundation walls.

A year ago I added some Ardex 8+9 as a primer and then left the project on hold.

Two days ago I got fed up walking past the bricks (still lying in the dirt from two years back) and busted out a small batch of old Ardex X32 bound for the dump. I rushed it. Used rocks as spacers. left the level in the truck and yesterday finished the small section.

The work is sloppy. Rushed. Crooked. Perfect. I love it.

Here is a peak at the work so far.

In this selection of bricks are bricks from five sources. The red bricks come from 3 prior jobs and my own home when we demo'd the old fireplace. The grey bricks also from my old chimney that we demo'd years back to make room for the second floor addition.

The spacers are just rocks I grabbed from the ground. The bricks still need to be grouted and I pan to use some mortar mix for this.

I think the bricks will add another layer of detail to home and add some value and curb appeal. My wife and kids like it as well.

A fun project that can be done for little cash and can add a lot of value to the home.

Comments (10)