SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizbest1

Why I Love Peonies, Continued from the Spring Swap Conversation...

lizbest1
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I would absolutely agree, Mstywoods, peonies are very maintenance free here in CO. There are several diseases peonies are prone to but all are easily avoided here--they hit in more humid climates. As long as you water at the roots or early morning so the leaves can dry off fairly quickly mildew and other icky things are nonexistent here. That's why it's so easy to prune them in the spring instead of the fall--people in humid areas would end up regretting what we do without any problems! And there are lots of varieties, even some of the huge doubles now, that are advertised as "landscape" peonies. That term indicates they will stand up just fine with fully open blooms without laying your beautiful flowers on the ground. They are also fairly zeric after they're established, especially if they're mulched. Even in the heat of the summer I typically only water mine once a week or so if there is no rain. They will droop when they're feeling the lack of water but will perk right back up same evening if their water needs are seen too. Once a week for established peonies is normally fine. They do not like boggy conditions at all, that will kill them faster than no water. They don't need a lot of fertilizer either, will grow and bloom fine every year as long as the soil is fairly good. Blooms will be much bigger and they'll increase faster with some bulb fertilizer in early spring and late fall, though.

The only thing I'd probably try to avoid as a new peony grower are fernleaf peonies. The roots on those tend to be more prone to breaking when planted and really need a raised, sandy bed to be at their best. They also tend to increase slower than normal herbaceous peonies and tend to be smaller plants overall, not the typical, dramatic huge shrub. There are several fernleaf hybrids though that are tough as nails and increase just as fast as any herbaceous. You can typically tell which ones increase fast because they're offered at a more reasonable price.

Saunders (the hybridizer) peonies are fairly picky about their growing site, too--hence me having a Cytherea that never bloomed in 7 years! Amester picked one I divided and swapped 2 years ago and hers bloomed 1st spring, though, so just goes to show if you're careful with placement they'll bloom as easily as any other. I have hopes that mine will this year.

Skybird--I think one of mine is up to the standard peony cage height (18-24 inches). It's a Lovely Rose that's been in place for around 5 years and is typically the very first I see emerge every year, even though it blooms later than others in my yard. It gets to its full height by mid-late May and blooms several weeks later. I'm not doing earmarks either--I agree it's too much to keep up with, but I'm bringing you a Klehm peony this trade. Not sure if it'll be Raspberry Rumba or Circus Circus, I'll need to see which I have the most of that's marked so I'm sure of what it is! Both are really pretty, streaked flowers. Raspberry Rumba has a white base and Circus Circus a pale pink, both with darker pink streaks. Not a big bloom but tons of flowers when it blooms.

I grew up in East Texas and never saw a peony until I was stationed in South Korea in the army. The base that I was on had them blooming every spring with absolutely no maintenance, growing kinda like hell strip or street median plantings. As soon as we moved to CO in 1996 I started buying peonies available locally. I knew nothing about the plants other than they grew well here and were gorgeous when they bloomed. I stumbled across GardenWeb several years ago investigating how to winter sow--found an article about it in a gardening magazine and wanted to know more. Started here on the WinterSowing forum, then found Rocky Mountain and Peony forums. I have learned TONS about gardening from you guys and the peony forum members. Unfortunately I also discovered all of the online peony sources like Skybird's childhood neighbor, Klehm's Song Sparrow! Hence Lemon Chiffon, Pastelegance, Sonoma Halo and a few hundred others.....

Thanks for letting me ramble! I truly am a peony fanatic and love to turn other gardeners into the same! Did I also mention that deer and rabbits tend to avoid them? Just another feature that's a plus to CO gardeners....Self pruning, attractive foliage that doesn't get leggy after blooming, I could go on and on.....

Comments (29)