SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
syntria

Succulant Corner Driveway Garden - Cold Hardiness?

syntria
9 years ago

Hello! Greetings!

I plan on doing two corner rock/succulant gardens at the end of my driveway where the sidewalk is, so two 'quarter circles' or two 'squares' depending on what looks the best.

I just bought some new succulants and I have some old ones in pots, many I got on clearance at lowes and home depot over the last year for 10-20 cents and just ignored until they came back to life.

I'd like to know which one of these succulants will be cold heartie here in texas, where at most we might hit 10 but rarely drop into the 20's. I'm going to plant those in pots (like the Jade) and put them out there as well but bring them inside when it gets cold. I also have a thorned Agava that's got a few babies on it that survived the winter just fine I might take the babies off of to put out there.

Also as far as the soil, I have clay soil now. I have a tiller. I was going to till it up, get rid of the grass, line it with bricks (have ample supplies of bricks) and do a 'mound' out of sandy/hummus which I have a few bags of. I also have compost mixes (wood/oyster/bat poo/chicken poo/other good bits) but I didn't want to make it too rich. The area will be getting full sun, morning till evening. Upwards to 100 degree's and above on occassion, with concrete on two sides.

This is the corner in question. Now my landscaping skills aren't the best but how does what I described above sound? My whole neighborehood is new, 2005, and is very steril feeling. I really miss the feel of San Diego, with all the road verge's and unique yards with lots of plants. So I want to start small by adding something interesting out near the sidewalk to mix it up and eventually do away with half my yard in leui for more plants.

In Summary, do you have any suggestions or advice for making a small succulant garden really look nice? Also want to make sure I don't make any big mistakes with how I plant them and end up killing the suckers.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus