SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
abbey_cny

Kitten died from feline leukemia.

abbey_cny
9 years ago

I lost my 6 month old kitten to feline leukemia this week. I am heartbroken and completely blindsided. Just looking for some info if anyone has a similar experience. I got her and her brother from a rescue group. Their mother was a feral cat. The mother tested negative for feline leukemia so they figured the kittens were ok. She had absolutely no symptoms. She ate well, she played fiercely, was very friendly, and had no obvious symptoms of ill health until the day I came home and found her with a nose bleed. I figured she and her brother had roughhoused too much, so took her up to the vet. A half an hour later I was told that she had feline leukemia and that her blood wasn't clotting because the leukemia was in her bone marrow. There was no hope. I had her euthanized, and it was so much harder than my other cats because she was just a baby. The rescue group cannot figure out how she got it as her mother tested negative. Could her mother have tested negative and still had it, maybe in the beginning stages? Can they get it from the father? I was too devastated to ask many questions of the vet or the rescue group. I have had her brother tested and he tests negative, although they will repeat the test in 60 days. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (6)