SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigbseehagen

Stumped on GFCI Circuit Breaker

bigbseehagen
9 years ago

So last night my electricity has been working no problem in this 2 bedroom circuit. We have lived here for 2 years with no problems. We had some friends over and I showed my buddy my office and the lights worked. Then we left the room and turned off the light. Later about 30 mins later we went back in to show him something on the computer and the lights didn't work. Went out to the breaker box and the GFCI breaker was tripped. Tried to flip it back on and went into room and the lights would go on for a split second and then trip again. We did not change anything or hang any fans or anything.

So we unplugged everything and tried it again and it still trips only under a load. We turn everything off and it doesn't trip the breaker until something is plugged in like a lamp in any plug throughout the two rooms or the lights on the fans get turned on. Tried replacing GFCI with new breaker then swapped out with working breaker from different room and it is not the breaker. I need some serious help because I don't want to tear my house apart to find the problem.

Why would it work then not work with no changes to the room or anything new plugged in??

Comments (3)