SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bshaw024

Need Advice on Renewal Energy and Air Quality Solutions for New Home

bshaw024
9 years ago

We are planning to start building this summer and have a desire to use renewable energy sources wherever it makes sense to. We also have members of the family with allergies and asthma, so there are some nice health benefits to some of the things we are considering.

First, some background about us: We have 7 family members. So it is common for us to be running 3-4 loads in the washing machine, dishwasher and three or four showers/baths in the same evening. We have a conventional 50 gallon water heater and frequently run out of hot water. Our current home feels drafty all the time. The heat runs almost non-stop in the winter and the air runs almost non-stop in the summer.

We have four members of the family that deal with seasonal allergies (dust, pollen, mold, ragweed, pet dander) and one with asthma. So air quality is a big deal for us. We did just recently get rid of a house cat that we discovered was contributing to the allergies of two of the family members. We also bought a top-rated air-purifier for the master suite, which runs on high 24x7.

Now, some info on our new home/site: Our home will be roughly 4,000 sq ft, with approximately 2,700 on the main living area, 800 on the 2nd floor and 500 in the basement. We will have 12 acres in a rural area, so a well and propane tank will be necessary (no city water/sewer or natural gas). Local utility rates are currently about $0.10/kwh. The home will face north, with a fairly large expanse of rear roof facing south. The home will be in Missouri, with temperatures ranging from sub-freezing to 100+ throughout the year.

I'm looking for advice on "reasonable" upgrades to the new construction to make the home more efficient, lower our utilities and improve air quality. From a financial perspective, I would consider upgrades that have an ROI of 10-15 years or less.

Considerations:

1. ERV: For health reasons, I'm consider a sealed-air home with an Energy Recovery Ventilator. This would allow us to better filter the air and control the humidity level. As of right now, the home plans call for 2x4 exterior walls. I'm not quite sure which insulation the contractor will recommend in the walls and ceilings.

2. GSHP: This makes sense to me to consider leveraging geothermal heat to assist in heating and cooling the home. I believe this would mean we could also reduce the size of the HVAC system used.

3. Solar Power: As stated, the current kWh rate is about $0.10 - not overly expensive. But if we could see an ROI of 15 years or less, it may make sense to add solar power. We have a wide expanse of roof that is south facing that will be on a 10/12 pitch. I wouldn't necessarily want to use batteries as I think it makes more sense to feed it back onto the grid.

4. LP Generator: Not necessarily an efficiency play. But we do see frequent power outages in storms. This would be to run the essentials.

5. Water Heater: This is one I'm really clueless on. As stated, our current 50 gallon conventional water heater cannot keep up with us. I could go with a larger conventional heater, or do two in series with one acting as a pre-heater. I'm open to tankless, but have heard of issues with them. I'm really open to suggestions here.

Please feel free to chime in with advice, questions and warnings. Thank you.

Comments (8)

Sponsored