SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

White Dove remodel: White Kitchen

User
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

The cabinets were delivered a day or so ago, and today they were fixed in place. No drawers or doors yet, but ...... well, I'm excited. It is really looking like a kitchen where cooking can happen. All the appliances are in place EXCEPT for the gas range and the Sharp microwave drawer. The sink is waiting inside the cabinet beneath the window, as is the 2.5 gallon point-of-use water heater dedicated to the dishwasher and the sink. The window seat is in its spot and installed, but not the top and the file drawers for beneath. I anticipate the file drawers will be very low use, but I'll get a drawer and so will my Dearie. Meanwhile, I'm "editing" the paper documents I keep, including tossing all the piles of magazines and catalogs kept throughout the remodel planning process.

I hope you all will enjoy the first pictures. I'll put up four here, and give the link to the 41 or so pictures in their Flickr album. I just finished uploading them tonight. Please feel free to ask any questions, and to comment on anything that you find interesting one way or another. I've made personal choices that may not be according to the trends, but which are according to the way we live in this little house which has increased in size by another 300 square feet. I figure it is about 1450 sq feet total heated/cooled space.

Meanwhile, I have the Bertazzoni 24 inch gas range ready to come inside and be the star of the show. It's only been sitting in the Teahouse since December 2011. Its hood and ducting boxes are already inside. Next week should be an event filled time, with the countertop guy taking final measurements, the HVAC guy putting in the range hood, the electrician giving my lighting a chance to shine, the plumber perhaps doing the sink--but mostly I hope he replaces the sewer line which backed up on my new floors about 2 weeks ago! What a bummer THAT was. Tree roots, don't you know...sigh.
The plumber also installs the gas range.

Hope you enjoy the interim photos. I cannot wait for a final reveal to share what a difference this remodel is making to our simple little stucco and plaster cottage.
Back door to the left. Tall empty cabinet is pantry on top, laundry basket stuff on bottom. (Bulk items like P-towels and T-paper go in the new hall closet.) A GE under-counter refrigerator to the right of the big Whirlpool fridge with top drawer mine, bottom drawer HIS. Temp inside stays at 38 F.

Cooking side of the kitchen. Bertazzoni 24 inch range goes in the gap. The tall bar (shown with bar stool) will hide the cooking from the living area. I'm thinking the rolling cart is going to work in this spot more or less, I've grown fond of using it for everything. Countertops either side of the range will be stainless, all tops elsewhere will be Silestone Stellar Snow (same thing we used in the Massachusetts kitchen). The bar is 54 inches wide, room for two stools. Two swing arm sconces will be high on the wall, extending over three stainless shelves over each set of cabinets. The microwave drawer goes to the left of the range.

This is the "wet" side of the kitchen and that window comes down to the countertop which extends into the sill. The wall cabs have beadboard backs, and no doors. The one on the right will have a dowel-style plate rack. A 30 inch wide and 10 inch deep undermount sink by Kraus goes in at some point. NO tip out drawer (I hate those things) in front of the sink. A 2.5 gallon point-of-use water heater (got it from Home Depot I think) mounts next to the dishwasher. Trash rollout to the right. Might be a single can due to the location of the drain line though. I'm debating about silverware in the top drawer on the right, and everyday dishes in the two drawers below. That cab is 27 wide, the sink cab is 36 wide

View of the peninsula. My toaster oven goes on a shelf above it. Best little oven ever--a Breville Smart Convection oven does wonderful baking as well as toasting. My pop-up mixer stand will be where those long boxes (the 6 stainless shelves mentioned above) are located. The coffee pot may sit on this counter, I don't want it putting steam on any of the wall cabs. My baking goods will be here, and the top left drawer is a bread drawer. The bottom left drawer is my tool drawer.

Can I sneak in more photos? Hope so. There is the dining room window seat and cabs to show you. I think table silverware should go in the top drawer of the cab to left of window seat. It is 24 wide. A cushion or foam mattress goes on the window seat. These wall cabs have beadboard backs and will have glass doors, Our 39 inch square mahogany slab table goes in front of the window seat with 2 chairs only...the other 2 are in the living room pushed together like one wide chair. If I choose the window seat for dining, only ONE chair will be opposite me, and I'll move the 4th dining chair into the sitting room until we need it.

There is no progress on mounting the TV on the wall opposite the window seat, so no picture. I may have to take matters in my own hands there. A continuous shelf above the cased openings will circle the dining room, and LED rope lighting on a dimmer will be used on that shelf, as if it were cove lighting. I may display some few things there, but not many. You know how "things" collect dust and make work which is uncalled for.

That's it for now. More next week. Here is the link to the full album.

Home Remodel: White Kitchen

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living