SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacob_armstrong2746346

Need help with my Honda GCV160 Engine.

Jacob Armstrong
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Need help with my Gxv160 engine. Identification numbers are GJ03 2064084 SFL1.

I bought this mower and when it started it revved high for a few seconds and then settled. I carried out a full service to the mower and cleaned the carb, checked the govenor linkages / springs ( checked for stretched springs, binding linkages etc) I found nothing wrong here. So I split the engine to inspect the internal govenor. The splines on the plastic gear were excessively worn on one side of the gear, I replaced the entire assembly including the counterweights With a new part.

I reassembled the machine and it ran more or less just as bad as previously. Not holding revs and automatically changes it's high revving speed (even though I have the limiting screw all the way against the linkage to limit the top speed)

I split the engine again to find that there is already excessive wear on the splines of the new govenor gear. It hasn't even ran an hour.

Please help. Also I realise there are two shim washers (one thicker than the other) that sit on the govenor plunger shaft. Could someone please affirm which order they are meant to go. I currently have the thicker washer sitting up against the sump casing where the govenor is secured to the sump. (if that makes sense)

Comments (5)