SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosie1949_gw

"Original 10 Violets"

Rosie1949
9 years ago

Was someone on here talking about the"Original 10" violets? Was looking on ebay and ran across one--African violet PLUG starter plant NEPTUNE (ORIGINAL 10) starting bid $4.50 and shipping is $4.50. Just to let you know.--Rosie

Comments (42)

• terrilou
    9 years ago

Hmmm, Neptune has many faces. I've always thought that Bloomlovers Neptune is really Woodland Sprite. Here is my version of Neptune which I obtained from the Violet Gallery years ago.

• Rosie1949
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You may be on to something. Did a little digging & this is what I came up with. There was more to read at the site~~Rosie

Woodland Sprite (changed from: Neptune, or not?)

by illustrator » September 6th, 2011, 12:22 pm

Dear all,

As you know I am very interested in the old(est) varieties. Some time ago I found a picture on internet of a variety called Neptune. Neptune is one of the First Ten, which were first sold in 1926 or 1927 in the US. They were registered in 1948, when the first list of varieties was compiled. The description: Neptune (AVS48) (Armacost & Royston) Single medium blue-violet. Ovate, cupped, quilted. Large

Cupped. Now here is a problem: the plant on the picture had quilted leaves, but not cupped. So what is it? Diana (Valkiria) managed to find the grower of the plant on the picture and got some leaves, which she put on the mail to me, thanks a lot again! It is almost flowering now, but also on my shelf it does not have cupped leaves ... The same is already mentioned here (and also earlier discussed on our forum):
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/pho ... 1973JMdDTu

mmm. But I found pictures of the same "Neptune" from all over the world, even in Australia they seem to have this not-cupped "Neptune" ...

I am not sure, maybe it is Neptune, but maybe not. And if not, it is likely Woodland Sprite. The description matches more with Woodland Sprite ...

Anyway, this is how it looks at the moment:

Paul VeenvlietillustratorMember Posts: 376Images: 39Joined: October 28th, 2010, 9:48 pm

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Bloomlovers also carries Woodland Sprite though. You would think they would notice if they were the same plant?

I may even have them both from Bloomlovers now as babies - not sure.

Diana

• quimoi
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here is a description of "Neptune" from Helen Van Pelt Wilson's 1948 book:

Neptune (Illustrated) - note: these are line drawings
    Flower: Produced very freely, close to foliage, in clusters of 4, each flower about 1-1/2 to 2 inches in diameter.
    Color: Blue-violet.
    Leaf: Young leaf quite cupped or spooned where petiole joins. Dark green, flushed with wine underneath. Mature leaves ovate, few hairs, glossy, very quilted and cupped, measuring 3 by 3-1/4 inches or larger. Often so deeply cupped or spooned that almost as much of the underside of the leaf shows as the upper surface.
    Petiole: Deep rose-purple, 3 to 4 inches.
    Plant: Large, flat and droopy, with overlapping leaves.
    Originated: Armacost & Royston, California

I don't know that this helps anything. (She also used the colors dark blue-violet and purple to describe blossoms so I guess this was lighter than some.)

Diana in PA

• snappyguy
    9 years ago

The official description from AVSA is: "Neptune (AVS48) (Armacost & Royston) Single medium blue-violet. Ovate, cupped, quilted. Large." I think the confusion surrounding Neptune largely comes from the word "cupped," which I think people may be confusing with the term "spooned." Spooned refers to a leaf that has edges that are turned upwards all the way around, resulting in a bowl or spoon-shaped leaf. In my currently poorly grown Neptune there is a distinct upturn to the leaf blade near the petiole (stem), and I believe this is the cupping the description is referring to. Being an Original 10 violet, we must remember that these plants are still very similar to the wild species. In my experience many varieties of Saintpaulia ionantha (from which Neptune was hybridized) are light to medium purple when they flower, much more like the picture posted by Rosie above. Although growing conditions can change the appearance of a plant significantly, I don't think the photo posted by terrilou is truly Neptune, but may have come mislabeled from the seller. The flower appears much darker, and the petals are much more squat in comparison to what I think of for Neptune. Here's a link to a close-up photo of the leaves of my plant. Pay no attention to how much the plant needs work at the moment, but notice how the leaf blade starts to curl over itself near the stem. I think this is the cupping the description refers to.

Neptune Leaves

Mark

• terrilou
    9 years ago

Tis a mystery for sure. I believe my plant is close to the 1948 description from the Van Pelt Wilson book. Granted there isn't much spooning/cupping but flowers are in fours, open close to the leaves, petioles are reddish, backs too. The Bloomlovers plant produces flowers more in a cascade. It's possible my plant is mislabeled. . . Happens all the time, but I still feel Bloomlovers plant is WS.

• Rosie1949
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, as long as you are happy with whatever YOU believe it to be,,,that is all that counts! Maybe one day we will solve this mystery. LOL Rosie

• quimoi
    9 years ago

I am fairly sure that I do have both Neptune and Woodland Sprite from Bloomlovers. Neptune's babies aren't doing especially well but I'm anxious to see if they really look alike. It is a mystery all right. Sometimes the AVSA descriptions aren't the fullest descriptions in the world. I just saw an explanation of why those were registered in 1948 when they are clearly much older plants. And sometimes we have AVSA description tshat leave out a minor detail - like variegated or fantasy....

I wonder how much conditions would contribute to the spoon/cup effect HVP described. That was certainly extreme sounding. I have also heard of other varieties where one person's plant would cup and another's wouldn't (possibly a Ma's).

I think this was back in the mid '70's but I believe someone used to offer the original 10 for one price. (I don't think it was the species.) It might have been Cape Cod. I can't imagine who it could have been. It always seemed like a lot of money and I didn't want all ten. They had a printed catalog, whoever it was.

Diana in PA

• Rosie1949
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Diana later I will dig out my old catalogs from that time period and see if I can come up with anything about the original 10 being offered. If nothing else it will be a walk down memory lane! lol Rosie

• terrilou
    9 years ago

The AVSA website has a photo of Woodland Sprite but alas, no Neptune.

• quimoi
    9 years ago

I was just thinking that someone, somewhere surely has some literature that at least shows a b/w photo of Neptune. Of course most of those people have it in storage or aren't inclined to hunt for it (not that I blame them) I wish I knew for sure who offered those. It seems like it was a rather bare-bones catalog.

I've just been getting what openlibrary.org has in ebooks but I feel like the older books would be best and there are only two of those.

Isn't it something that the AVSA doesn't have that? I never heard of Woodland Sprite until Fred Hill grew it a few years ago. I think someone said it is older than that registration.

Diana in PA

• quimoi
    9 years ago

I was just watering plantlets and I can say one thing. Bloomlovers is not selling the same plant as Neptune and Woodland Sprite. I just found Woodland Sprite. It has red backs and darker leaves. (These are quite young plants.)

I suppose I came late to this conversation but am I the only one with FC2? I never checked it. There are two photos of Neptune. One is Linda Rowe's (Bloomin' Jungle) and I wonder where she got hers. It is the full plant, shiny, droopy leaves, light blue blossoms. The other one is Valerie Despres and mostly blossom, light blue again, but the leaves appear light green, shiny. Neither matches Terri's plant. The photo of Woodland Sprite does have some similarities but the peduncles seem much longer although Neptune's aren't exactly short, like some of the small Pittmans for example where the blossoms sit on the leaves. Neptune's seem to just be hanging around there.

Do I need 2 big weird plants? That why I tossed Woodland Sprite's plantlet before :).

Diana

• Rosie1949
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I still intend to get out my older books. I always heard of the "Original 10" back in the 70's when I was trying to learn everything I could about my new passion----AFRICAN VIOLETS!!!!!! And that passion is still with me now 50 years later!!! Rosie

• terrilou
    9 years ago

I'm not able to acquire FC2 because it isn't made for the Mac. Yes, it would be fortunate to look in some old magazines. . . be lots of info there. I understand from reading that one parent of WS is grandifolia but thats about all I know.

Also, if my plant of Neptune is mislabeled, its not the only one!

• Rosie1949
    Original Author
    9 years ago

terrilou what is FC2? Did I miss something somewhere?

And as far as mislabeling,,,,as long as these companies are NOT going to supply us with decent labels and force us to look on the internet and compare plant to photo there will be constant misinformation out there.

Now I am on a soapbox. They are making their money and there ought to be a darn label in the doggone plant. All of their excuses (and I have read them all!) don't hold water. If you order from a company that provides labels don't take offense. I am not talking about them. It is the rest of them.

Sorry,,,,,am off my rant for now. But it does make me mad. :( Rosie

• Rosie1949
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh terrilou I am sorry,,,,,,the photo is beautiful !!

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Rosie, by all means, please look through any historical material you may have. I would say both of those FC2 photos were relatively recent. Terrilou, I really don't know what to think about this. Where was that photo taken? It's cupping alright. Does anyone want to ask Linda Rowe if she knows where hers came from? I don't.

Tina at Bloomlovers isn't usually too big on answering email and I know she's setting up her shipping schedule right now too.

Lots of people don't have FC2. I just wondered if I was the only one here.

Mostly people are complaining about Optimara and this sure ain't Optimara's fault :). Of course the cat has taken out those stupid stakes so it doesn't matter much if they use those or not. Then I use them to prop up the plant and think it's something else - like nicotiana.

Okay, I copies Violet Gallery's catalog as best I could when they went out. Look here:

http://www.violetgallery.com/html%20pics/neptune.html

Although they offer Commodore (AVS48) (Armacost & Royston) Single dark purple. Long, quilted, glossy. Large - there is no photo nor is there one in FC2. Someone on FB is searching for it and I don't think she's found it either.

I might have missed it, but I didn't see anything that seemed to match yours, Terrilou. They had Woodland Sprite but no photo.

http://www.designbycandy.com/personal/candysviolets/default/vintage.htm

Really lousy photo here. I contacted Candy not too long ago. Someone suggested it because she'd had Gliterstar. She no longer grows violets. She was nice but, as I suspected, nothing came of it. They sure can vanish fast.

It appears that the Jan/2012 AVSA magazine had something on Neptune (photo?) on p. 20. Of course if it was confused then, it doesn't help.

I found a description in an older book (one of those Google things) "large wine-purple flowers, quilted leaves, flat growth"

It's almost like we have 2 Neptunes because these colors aren't lining up. Aside from the foliage, the others are pale with the darker center.

(And where did Commodore go? Let's call Terri's Commodore and solve two problems ;) I'm not saying what's what; just that it may be easier.

I hope Rosie comes up with something.

Diana in PA

• terrilou
    9 years ago

The show plant photo was taken at the South Coast AV show in 2013. No, I wasn't there but found it by snooping on a forum. I would like to call my plant Commodore as it seems to have vanished. In thinking back, my plant may have come from Beliese (sp) greenhouses. They carried many vintage plants. Here is one last rather blurry pic of my plant taken a couple of years ago in daylight. It bloomed paler on that cycle. Terri

• Rosie1949
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Terrilou that is a very pretty color. Is it kinda leaning toward dark lilac? Your photo is pretty clear, I really think it is pretty. Rosie

• quimoi
    9 years ago

That is pretty, Terri. It would actually be kind of neat if it was Commodore although according to HVW, it gets blossoms in clusters of 7 to 8. I think you mean Belisles. They did have many vintage plants and were well known as a source for them. I'm not sure how many years ago you got yours but they were having some problems later on. I don't really know when they started, but I think it was about 2010 when I ordered. I think some family members were trying to help and I wouldn't be sure that everything was okay at that point. I kind of dropped out after that and Belisles closed during that period.

I think Marcia Belisle is still alive but no longer active in violets. I don't normally mention that but it could have some bearing on this (or not). Sometimes it would be nice if somebody would just tell us. I have read that Holtkamp Sr. lost hybridizing records which would certainly explain some issues there. I think most of us can understand such circumstances. We've had family members get old and go "off." Now we learn that if we start saying "thingy" all the time, it's probably Alzheimers (the Reagan analysis). I just removed 6 "thingys" from the post so it wouldn't show. I don't know what happened at Belisles - only that there were issues and I could tell that from my order and the subsequent closing.

Elizabeth Zimmermann who was a wonderful knitting author developed some type of dementia (they said it wasn't Alzheimers) and her family was honest about it. It was so sad that such a brilliant mind could go like that. They said they would give her knitting needles but she didn't seem to know what to do with them. This was a woman who had knit on the back of a motorcycle.

I would imagine that a violet vendor might mislabel one every now and then too :) Violet growers certainly do. (Thingy, thingy, thingy or maybe thingy1, 2, 3, etc. I was apparently kind of tired one night and have to wait for a few to bloom.)

Diana in PA

• Rosie1949
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does anyone remember the Buell mail order greenhouses? No longer in existence. I still do have their catalog. It was totally in color. That was in the early 1970's. Yawn. Will try to dig it out tomorrow. Rosie

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

I believe I just read that M. Belisle is ill. An address was posted to send cards, for those who know her.

• quimoi
    9 years ago

I don't remember Buell's but then I don't seem to remember much of anything from way back except the photo of Athena on the back of the Sunset book. I "borrowed" that in ebook form and eventually realized that I'd had that book and been in love with that photo :)

I posted this question on the AV Brat Pack forum because there are some knowledgeable growers there. I think it's important, especially as this confusion seems to have been going on for at least a few years now.

One member had been at the show where that Neptune won Best in Show. She said there were 2 or 3 plants entered as "Neptune" which did not look like her Neptune and that, in her opinion, they weren't Neptune. That it looked like a more modern plant. She thinks the leaves on the BIS are spooned, not cupped (I confess I am lost at this point).

Many references seem to suggest that Woodland Sprite and Neptune look quite a bit alike, making me wonder if I have Woodland Sprite (!). Woodland Sprite was hybridized by Max Maas in the 70's but registered in 1986 by A. Jantzen. (I think Max Maas had passed away by then.)

Woodland Sprite (6206) 04/16/1986 (A. Jantzen/Unknown) Single light blue/darker center. Medium green, quilted, serrated. Large

Rosie, please keep looking and someone else will look when she gets back from vacation if we haven't found an answer. She thinks it is important to keep these straight as do I. I love looking at the old photos in the books. Some of them even pre-date me.

Terrilou, I'm sorry if your plant turns out to be wrong but sometimes that happens. Now this thread has given me serious doubts about my Woodland Sprite! I'll grow it out but at the moment it's not looking much like Neptune. We'll just have to send them to the Island of Mismarked Plants, I guess, if they turn out to be wrong. Or keep them as "Not Neptune" and "Not Woodland Sprite." I've been careless lately and found a leafpot that was unlabeled. It's probably something of mine and I'll recognize it when it blooms so I gave up and labeled it "X". If nothing else, this does prove that records are helpful. Mine are somewhat behind right now but I have the orders in other forms, just not entered.

If I know what I've ordered and received, then I have a limited group of plants from which to identify an unmarked plant once it blooms. I'm not choosing from every plant available. I also track the source of the plant.

I don't know if any of you remember the late Fred Hill - he used to post here. He grew Woodland Sprite and said he had once won a BIS with it.

Diana in PA

• terrilou
    9 years ago

HI Diana, I did respond to your post on the Brat Pack forum but didn't have much more to add. I recall growing Woodland Sprite way back when. I don't recall the leaves being either quilted or serrated but maybe my memory is faulty. I know I really liked it because it was simple like the species.

I am not about to discard my "maybe not Neptune," as it is lovely & a strong grower. After all, it has survived moving and mites. . . and that earns my respect!

Terri

• Rosie1949
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You know,,,even if I never get to identify EVERY [specifically Optimara's] I have, I still keep them. And I will share them. NOIDS. Gotta love 'em!

We have discussed these two plants so often I think I am going to save your photos and put them in my Ideabook Wish List! I really do like the flower on the Woodland Sprite and,,,,,Original 10 or not,,,,,"Maybe not Neptune" seems like a nice plant also!

And I still say tags from the GROWER would help. Then if YOU lose the tag,,,well,,,,at least it started out named. It is easier for me to say "Yep, I have AV Something " than to say "Yep, I have AV with medium green ovate leaves and this color of whatever slightly to the red with a slightly frilled edge with double flowers"!

You get the idea. There I am on that darn soapbox again! Sorry

I have already looked thru several of my old 1970's issues of AVSA mag. There are a couple of articles that discuss the Original 10 but no clear cut pics. I am still reading. And oh those beautiful color photos!!!!!! Rosie

• quimoi
    9 years ago

A good plant is a good plant - nothing wrong with that. Rosie, are you speaking of growers other than Optimara because that is kind of a different issue. I think most of them do give you a name but sometimes they are mismarked. I got Nancy Leigh once but eventually we figured out it was Lyon's Magic Charms (clearly not Nancy Leigh). I label my pots. Well maybe not the purple ones that reverted from something. I really shouldn't keep those anyway and eventually I do toss them.

I had my old magazines until a couple of years ago. Isn't it frustrating? I wanted to get that plant. Order from that ad :) And they are gone.

I think we are likely to have the best luck with Optimaras in current or recent production. If it's an old one they may not be able to help much. They don't even have photos of the early Rhapsodies (at least I don't think so). I mean, I would think there'd be a little hall of fame or something :)

There's a nice picture of a Woodland Sprite on an old VV thread and it appears to have serrated edges on the leaves (I had to squint). If you can actually remember that kind of thing, I probably do have Alzheimers (been telling DD that for years).

Diana in PA

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Optiara themselves do not keep the older ones going.I once had a conversation with Selective Gardener about this. If you look at the dates on the I.D. page, some do go back to the late 1980's.

Manitoba bloomed vigorously. I know where I can order the original Harbor Blue, but it might not bloom as heavily or consistently as Manitoba. That is just one example of finding a similar plant that resembles a vintage one. Pansy refers to the original shape of the flower, with the top petals being smaller than the lower lobes. Genetically, it is probably dominant. But not sure if that has to do with the species, if the star shape is a different species or a hybridization result. Joanne

• Rosie1949
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No Diana, I guess my issue is with Optimara. Probably because it is the only type of violet both Lowe's and Meijer carry. These are the only 2 stores I have locally that carry violets. I just feel Optimara got sooooo large they may not realize how very hard it is for us to identify the very thing that they want us to buy from them. I don't care what their reason is,,,it will not run them into the poorhouse to give us a tag.

What made it come up again with me is somewhere on this forum, I heard about a Violet yahoo group. I joined and one of the people on it wrote a nice little piece about (I am paraphrasing here)"don't try to identify the Optimara violets if it didn't come with a name. Many of them are so similar if you are wrong it is not fair to the person who may want to show it etc." Just didn't sit right with me.

Ok I promise to quit beating this dead horse. I just have to let it go and move on soooooooo,,,,,,, Soapbox gone!!!!!

On to better subjects!!!!! As far as the older varieties, There are only a couple of Rhapsodies I am looking for but most of what I want are the violets from 1970 to about 1987 or so. But more toward 1970's. Like Firebird, Chanticleer, Garnet Elf, White Madonna, Pixie Blue and Pixie Pink and Sweetheart trailer and alot more from that period.

I understand every violet hybridized cannot exist forever, but I also know there are some people who have them and hopefully I can obtain them! After all isn't that the entire idea of others wanting the Original 10? For posterity?

And as for the rest of the eye candy pics in my Ideabook Wish List, OMG they are just so beautiful I want them all!!! The newer violets (the Russian types, space types, and all the other types just phenomenal!!!!!) Until I got back into violets (more than just a couple) I never realized what was available!

And this forum has really opened my eyes. Oh yeah and the information and the people are great also!!!! Well, enough for now. Rosie

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Rosie, We have another thread going on a similar topic that Su started. The violets you will find in retail stores are Optimara or Anthoflores.

I was told that if you want a named, collectible violet, even an Optimara, the best way to get one is to buy it from their mail order division. Optimara does have vintage violets, but not enough to post on their website. So If you email them, they might answer and let you know. They do encourage you to buy from them through their mail order division, that way, you get a quality plant with a tag. However, you will also pay much more.

The other forum that you referred to is for people who are serious about collecting and showing. What the person told you is or used to be the standard response that some people who show violets would tell you. So don't take it personally. They were just trying to provide background info, probably. When I first heard it myself, I was surprised and did not know. It is just a "rule." In some contests, more strict than others. Someone who used to share on this forum who was very involved with shows and making videos was the one who told me. Joanne

• Rosie1949
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, and I appreciate all of the info, AND of course, Chanticleer! I look forward to your list and maybe by then I will have a couple more to trade also.

The Anthoflores,,,,,now THOSE are not something I haven't heard of until I got into gardenweb. I didn't know that maybe my stores had them also! I have to do some serious research about them. That is how not caught up on all the violets I am.

Now you probably understand why I want my favorites back! I know about them and it is a comfort zone for me. lol Well, guess I had to grow up sometime!

Thanks for the information, will be moving forward now!

Just for the record,,,,,I don't intend to show my violets they are for my own pleasure and NOIDS are always welcome at my house! Rosie

• quimoi
    9 years ago

I have seen those lectures and despite what they say you can identify your Optimara and show it. Some are really easy to identify and others can be shown on the Optimara id page. Then you could feel secure if they said what it was. Sometimes they will say they aren't sure. You no longer need a tag to show an Optimara. Most people don't seem to want Optimaras in trade though. I've lost Glitterstar and Glittersweet and they just vanished in a few years. I understand wanting our old favorites back. They don't always go because there are better ones either.

Among my massive :) Optimara collection I have Firebird, Chanticleer, Pixie Blue, Pixie Pink, and Harbor Blue. I've grown most of them from Bloomlover's leaves or some from others. I've been growing Harbor Blue for quite a few years. Manitoba is not a Space Violet and I suppose if I had to ditch one of them it would be Manitoba but I keep growing them both. Harbor Blue has slight larger blossoms. Maverick's Faded Jeans has a very pretty blossom.

Diana in PA

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Rosie, I was quoting what I was told when I first joined the forum, that is all. I never intend to show any plants myself. The "rules" probably are flexible. Anthofores is a Canadian brand that can sometimes be found in some parts of the U.S., seems to be mostly the northeast. so it is unlikely you would see them in stores anymore. Joanne

• Rosie1949
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I understand about quotes but,,,,oh darn,,,,Wouldn't it be nice if they sold both Anthoflores AND Optimaras at my stores??? I am in s'eastern Michigan near the Ohio border so you are right,,,,if they are distributed more northeast for Anthoflores,,,they wouldn't be here >:(

Diana ohhhhh,,,, I remember Glittersweet ! Just something about that color that held my attention. I thought she was so beautiful!!! I remember just looking at her and she would just sparkle ! I know a lot of violets sparkle, but some sparkle more than others and she did. And the depth of her color !

I have heard of O. Manitoba but not Harbor Blue or Maverick's Faded Jeans. But of course Pixie Pink and Pixie Blue trailers, Chanticleer and Firebird are tops on my Wish List ! Still looking for Sweetheart Trail. Don't hear her mentioned too much. And now Glittersweet is added to my Ideabook Wish List ! Rosie

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

HI

Regardng Anthoflores, I never should have mentioned their names, because I truly know nothing about them aside from what I read on this Forum and mostly from Karin in Canada.

They might not even be doing any business in the U.S., except that I think Diana said she finds them in her northern PA area.

I was merely trying to say that the kinds of violets you find in stores are only those too companies. don't know much about them at all, it is just that in my few years on this forum, I see the name mentioned as mostly in Canada. I did not do a study on the company because I don't have them in my area. I am not even sure they sell any more.

Why not treat yourself to a few violets from Lyndon Lyon's or Travis or Bluebird. You can order just four as a trial. At this time of year, they are all getting ready to ship. Or maybe you already did that .... or Fancy Bloomers, she has some vintage. She is also very response and will answer an email.

It amazes me that you were a collector and knew the names of violets back in the 1970's!! I was not paying attention, I guess, to the wonderful world of violets. Wish I was, but am trying to make up for lost time now! Joanne

• Karin
    9 years ago

actually, i forget the name, but in Florida, there is a local company that supplies nurseries with some of rob's varieties. again though, they aren't labelled, and you have to catch their company rep on the ID or NERDS group to get them identified...

as for harster / anthoflores... they are still in business, growing, av's, ferns, other tropicals... nothing named/tagged though. and from what i see on facebook, they are more easily found in the states than here, just an hour or so from their greenhouses. go figure.

• Rosie1949
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am glad you mentioned Anthoflores. First of all, it taught me another name besides Rhapsodie & Optimara. And looking up some of their pic I opened my world a little more! Second,,,I thought Anthoflores was something new. You referenced it to be much older. Did not know that. Oh, just had a thought, if Diana may have them in PA.,,I wonder if they would be in Tennessee? My daughter lives there. Hmmm, road trip???? lol I know Optimara is in Tn., and when I go down there you know where she and I are heading? Can ya guess? RIGHT !!! Yippeeeeeee !!!

Everyone here probably thinks I am "stuck" in the 60's & 70's. Well,,,I AM. But that was my heyday with violets. So many memories!

Oh I am well aware of Lyon! Remember,,,he was not strictly mail order then. You could buy his violets in the dime store! Woolworth, Kresge, the corner whatever store. You name it. And Granger and Tinari,,,,,all of the names you can only mail order from now. If they are not closed. No Optimara's yet, but there were the Rhapsodies and the beautiful Ballet Series !!!

AND I worked for an AV grower who would order leaves from these companies and if I found something in a store he did not have,,,,he would trade me leaves for leaves of his !!!! Can you imagine ??? What a deal, and working there, I knew what he already had and would look (man was I on a mission !!!!!) for stuff he didn't have just to trade and expand MY collection !!!

I agree that some of the vintage are not near as lovely as the ones today. But we don't always want the newest and the best. Some of the vintage I would not desire today. But there are some I have sentimental attachment to. Maybe it is the leaf. Or flower petals. We all have our attachments. And OH not to worry. I see the modern ones and am drooling as I type this ! Oops sorry,,,let me wipe the keyboard ! Have you looked through my Ideabook Wish List?????? Ohhh, go take a look! I won't live long enough to acquire 1/2 of them. [I will be 66 soon] Nor do I have the room. And I keep adding to the list ! But I am having so much fun !!!!

Glad you are also playing "catch up" as I am. I had said before that once the babies started growing up life got in the way and there were times I had [oh dare I say it ??] no violets or very few.

But I am back now and geeze,,,,love hearing from all of you on forum OR privately.

I am saving all of the references you just posted about places to order from. And if anyone has any others,,,,please let me know. I will order eventually.

Oh man, my posts are so looooonnnngggg !!! Shutting up now! Thanks! Rosie

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

HI,

Karin, Thanks for the info!! Now that you mention it, I recall reading about that years ago. I understand better why people would get upset. Because I participate in a club where people emphasize the collectible aspects of growing.

I did recall that Antho was selling more of other plants, and less an AV specialist. Anyway, I can't get them and can't order them through the mail, so that is one less company for me to have to think about.

Rosie, If you turn the 66 upside down, it is 99, so that is how long you can expect to be around collecting violets! What a fascinating story you have to tell! Wow!

Our club is going to take a tour of an AV farm.

I often wondered how people found the violets back then as most people would not be going through the trouble of ordering through the mail.

Back to present time, once you plunge in and start having your own little nursery at home, the 10,000 varieties begin to lose their grip on your imagination.

How fun to live near Nashville! Do give us all a report!

Anthoflores is based in Canada.

Joanne

• Karin
    9 years ago

it's not rob himself, it is some grower in florida. i have to find the name.... i THINK they sell rob's varieties though... i could be wrong, but the variegation i remember seeing on one of the id photos looks right.. maybe - memory, a beautiful and strange thing ;-p

• Karin
    9 years ago

there.. Harmony Greenhouse. refer to a previous discussion where someone tried to identify their minis. at the same time as that discussion on GW there was someone on the NERDS FB group trying to identify similar plants, and someone from harmony actually jumped in and IDd them all.

• quimoi
    9 years ago

Anyone could be selling anything. I don't know if she ever sound out why, but one FB person was buying all kinds at her Ace Hardware. I can attest that all Ace Hardwares do not carry AVs. Perhaps the wife of the owner or someone grew them and sold them there? They weren't labeled and weren't your Optimara/Anthoflores.

Rosie, I think you are lucky your store doesn't have both Optimara and Anthoflores. It can just be confusing at times unless you are happy with NOID. I'm sitting here wonder if this is Rhapsodie Barbara or an Anthoflores.

A few years ago there was a bit of a craze for Anthoflores and the company (Harster Greenhouses) seemed to do a little outreach. A grower in Ohio(?) sold them on eBay and some were quite nice. I had one that was a small standard with well behaved girl leaves and pink double blossoms - Rose or maybe Rosa (always the id thing). I'm sorry I discarded it. Now you can find a few but nothing like before.

There is at least one eBay seller that I've heard gets stock from Harmony. Sometimes the plants aren't what they're supposed to be. Sometimes they're nice. It was confusing until someone said they got them from a wholesaler. That was good of Harmony - didn't see that,

Rosie,

There were many beautiful plants, especially in the 70's and the 80's when I understand there was a real crazy for violets. I guess I had just grown them all along so I didn't know it. I had my magazines (mostly the ones from the 80's) and the photos were just beautiful. I stopped growing for a few years and everything had vanished. They weren't bad plants; many had been Honor Roll plants so I still don't know why they let them go. The names were still on my pots.

I haven't found Glittersweet yet (Glitterstar was my favorite) but you might try Fredette's Evening Star if you like variegated. Glitter Fountain is a trailer although I don't try to make it trail; I tend to prefer Candy Fountain although it hasn't got the "glitter." There are a lot of pink "glitter" plants and I wonder if they all look alike :) Okie Easter Bunny is supposed to be nice but haven't tried it yet. Some photos look good and others not so much. There are some beautiful Soranos from the 80's. Private Dancer (big). Happy Harold (1971) is still going strong although he does drop. I call him a "baby daddy" because he makes so many babies :) (Well he is not a mother leaf, is he?)

Diana in PA

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Karin, I remember reading about it years ago, it sounded very cloak and dagger.

I have read that other vendors who go to conventions do not want to take the plants back home if any are left over, so they will offer a discount. It is probably more expensive and troublesome to return home with the left overs, and there is a risk of picking up a bug. Joanne

• Rosie1949
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Can I ask a very big favor? Can everyone please sign their name at the end of their post? UNLESS you want to be addressed by your user name, nothing wrong with that either, just that I am having a hard time remembering who people are.

Oh,,,,now I will open up another can of worms! I don't have good luck with micro and mini's. The mini trailers [specifically Pixie Pink & Pixie Blue] I did well with back in the day, but not the single crown minis. Keeping them small, trimming roots, snagging off suckers etc to keep them single crown was just more than I could keep up with for as frequently as it had to be done. Semi mini's are ok for me. A little easier to handle. Inky Pink (fantasy flower) was on of my favorites. And of course any thing all the way up to the Supremes (the largest leaf there was!) is a piece of cake !

Do they call Supremes something different now? Anyone know???

Oh Joanne thanks for the compliment. I love to have fun in life. And I believe NO ONE'S life if really dull ! Ya just gotta sit down and remember !!!!

And I know you didn't mean to imply anything untoward. I love the oldies and the newies !!!! There's a word for us !!!!

"Back then" violets were all over the place. You didn't have to go far to find them. I remember they were $1.00+4% tax. 1970's, Michigan.

HA HA 66 upside down/live to 99. No thanks! Unless I am ambulatory and the same as I am now. (not that "now" is great,,,just don't want to get any worse!) AND I have to have my violets !!!!

If I could ever have a looooong greenhouse for violets, at one end I would make a little room looking toward the benches of violets. In my room I would have a comfortable chair maybe a rocker, side table, radio, tv, my hand needlecraft bag and something nice to drink. As I would do my needlecraft, I could look up and see beautiful color. OOPS,,,sorry,,,was dreaming again !!

An AV farm??? Can I go pleeeeeeeaaaaaase? Oh I can't wait to hear about all of that! Don't forget to post about it!

Oh man,,,gotta get off this computer and go grocery shopping. Hmmm, but that means the cursory trip to Lowe's first and when I finally get to Meijer I hope I have enough power to go see the violets/plants waaaaay on the other side. And THEN walk back and get my groceries !!! May fit Walmart in just to look at their plants since they opened up their garden door on the opposite side. Hate that parking lot and store. (too many reasons)--Later !!--Rosie