SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ngiachin

Issues with Columnar Norway Spruce, looking for input...

Endless Comfort Heating and Cooling
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hello -

We planted 6 columnar norway spruce trees during late spring in two different parts of the yard. When we purchased them, they had a lot of bright green new growth that persisted throughout the year. The winter seemed hard on them despite watering attempts and all the new growth lost it's needles as well as some of the older growth. All of the main vertical leads have green needles on them, as well as the lower sections, but the top is looking pretty rough. On the limbs that lost all the needles, the wood isn't as soft as healthy wood, but also isn't bone dry where it will snap off if you bend it just a little bit -- somewhere in between. I scrapped a few pieces, no bright green, but I thought what seemed like a dull green still existed on a sample of one of the needleless branches.

These are obviously vary young trees and I know spruces like this can look a little odd during their early years. The question is do these need to be replaced or is this normal for a newly transplanted norway spruce?

Is there any pruning corrective action that I should take on all those needleless branches? Thanks in advance for any input or help in diagnosis.

Comments (19)