SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brianc777_gw

my Norway Spruce trees look like they are dying - please help me

brianc777
17 years ago

Hi all,

I am having with some Norway Spruce trees that I planted last fall. If you have the time, could you please give me your thoughts and advice?

Last fall, I asked someone at a local nursery what type of tree would be good to plant near some other very large pine trees (60-70 feet tall). The area gets about 3 hours of sunlight a day. They suggested that I plant Norway Spruce trees. I bought three trees that were about 8 feet tall. Last spring, they seemed to get off to a great start and had about 8 - 10 inches of new growth on the ends. I fertilized them with fertilizer spikes for evergreen trees. I watered them with a soaker hose weekly if it didn't rain during the week and gave them about an inch of water per week. The area they are planted in is generally pretty dry due to the shelter from the larger pine trees nearby.

My problem - I have just noticed in the past couple of weeks that one of the trees is turning brown at the bottom and has lost all of its needles on a few lower branches. There is also a lot of brown needles and empty branches in the middle of the tree (looking inside the tree) in the bottom third of the tree. It seems to be working its way up the tree and towards the ends of the branches. A second tree also looks like its starting to have problems. There are a few brown and empty branches at the bottom. If you look in the middle of the tree, some areas look like they are turning yellow.

I know this is a long description, but I hope that its enough information that you can give me some ideas on how to help out my trees.

Thanks for your time.

Brian

Comments (11)