SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Looking at houses in my hometown today

mrspete
9 years ago

So today I went to my hometown and drove around looking at lots -- fun day for me. And I noticed something: A white brick ranch that I remember being built when I was in elementary school (so it had to be the 70s). I used to LOVE that that house had a Christmas tree in every window. What grabbed me about this house was that it STILL looks like it could've been built yesterday.

So it got me to thinking ... and since I grew up in this small town, I know who lives/lived in SO MANY houses and which houses are old /which ones are new ... and I tried to determine just what makes that white brick ranch (and some others) timeless.

My list:

- Classic, simple proportions. No oversized garage sticking out in front, no too big/too small gables. No poorly added addition (I come from a very frugal area, and some of those DIY additions are poorly done). These classic, simple proportions include the roof.

- Quality materials. The house that started me on this thought process is made of amazing bricks, whereas the cheaper bricks just look kind of one-tone and flat. I'm convinced that this is a place to splurge.

- GOOD windows. I noted quite a few picture windows, which were "the thing" in the 60s ... yet some of them looked fine, while others look bad. I think it looks bad when the one big window is paired with short, squat windows throughout the rest of the house. But no matter what type of house, good windows (again, good proportions) seem to matter SO MUCH. I think this is the item that was hardest for me to pin down.

- No trendy, right-this-minute items. For example, my aunt's house has a car port with one side enclosed with those open-air concrete, looks-like-a-flower blocks; they scream 1960s. Quite a few houses in my hometown have "colonial" touches -- not colonial style houses, but fakey colonial touches like that federal-shaped-thing over the front doorway, topped by an eagle. Yeah, 1976, America's bicentennial. I suspect tomorrow's 2015 giveaway will be stacked stones.

So, agree or disagree? Are these the things that make a house classic?

Comments (14)