SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
secondspring

Tilling in partially composted, triple ground mulch

secondspring
9 years ago

Hey all,

We moved our market garden onto a new 1.5 acre, leased plot last fall. We built raised beds, and have been incorporating 2" of leaf compost into them to break up the heavy clay that characterizes the soil profile on the site. We then add 1" of a vegetable-based compost and till it in shallowly (with a power harrow) before planting.

Our supplier of leaf compost has run out, and won't have any more for 6 weeks--right as we're trying to do a bunch of our spring planting. There's no other leaf compost available locally (and peat isn't available in bulk). So we're trying to find an affordable source of organic matter to break up.the clay in some of our beds until more leaf compost is available.

I found a mulch yard locally with triple ground mulch.Basically, they start with mixed brush, grind it, and bury it in a pile for 9 months to compost. They then pull the mostly composted material out (which has turned black at this point), grind it twice more, and pile it for sale.

The finished product isnt quite as broken down as the leaf.compost we've been using: there are still visible twigs and small bits of wood in it.

I'm aware of.the issues surrounding the use of partially decomposed matter as compost (e.g. robbing plants of.nitrogen, etc). Would anyone here be able to.take a look at a photo of.this stuff and tell me if they think it's safe to.use? We're in a tough spot.

Thanks.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath