SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

White on White & other (mis) Matched Kitchens

Carrie B
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I was at a friend's house, an artist, last week showing her my samples & finishes. I showed her my "Crystal White" (creamy) cabinet door sample & I told her I was going with white appliances. I held my breath waiting for the nearly inevitable: "but what if the whites don't match!" Instead, she said "I LOVE white on white!" She went on to say that she particularly loves bright white with cream, and that she specifically chose that color combo for her bathroom tiles.

I looked around her lovely house and kitchen: black & white range, stainless fridge, black dishwasher - nothing matched. Her cabinets were wood, some painted various colors, her crown molding painted burgundy. Her counter an oatmeal Corian. I remember my mother saying about her artist friends: "they wear the most outlandish colors together, but, these artists, somehow, manage to put them together so they look good. I could never get away with that."

But here's the thing, I think a lot of times we COULD get away with it. We can put different whites together, we can have non-matching appliances and they can look good - even great together. I think we're often convinced we can't do it. We're afraid to take risks. Who wants to take the risk that our $10,000 or $50,000 or whatever investment is going to look stupid? So, we play it safe. And we end up with visually safe-looking kitchens.

But sometimes, just sometimes, a leap of faith can be a worth it kind of thing.

A small portion of my friend's kitchen:

Comments (11)