SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arebe1

ELECTROLUX ICON FREESTANDING DUAL-FUEL RANGE or KITCHEN AID

AreBe
9 years ago

I am about to purchase a dual –fuel, 30 “freestanding range. Price point is between $2,000 and $3, 000 Canadian. (I live in Toronto) I cannot afford and will not pay for a Wolf range, but will use it as the archetype to measure against all others. (Wolf is the model of an ideal stove that all others will be measured against.) According to Consumer Reports, the Kitchen Aid is the only recommended model. But Consumer Reports did not look at or consider the Electrolux Icon.

Jenn Air was in the running- have a friend who complained about constant electrical panel problems. With that in mind, I am keen on less and not more electronics- so score one for the Electrolux – which still does have a panel, but only for temperature selection. I already have an external digital meat thermometer probe type device. I can easily get a counter –top timer or two.

The Kitchen Aid has one 20,000 BTU burner, whereas the Icon has 2 at 18,000.

The Kitchen Aid has 2 burners at 15,000 BTU and one at 5,000, for a total for the kitchen aid of 55,000 BTU.

The Icon has a 14,000 and a 5,000 burner, again for a total of 55,000 - something tells me there may be some government regulation as both add up to the same figure.

I have found a scratch and dent store willing to sell me either of those for under $3,000. The Kitchen Aid lists at $6,199 and the Icon at $3,999.

I am going to have to replace my 450 CFM vent hood to something that is at least 550 CFM – can be done for under $500 on sale etc.

I will have to bring a gas line up to the kitchen but I already have it in the house.

I Have a behemoth 20 year old sub zero fridge and a Kitchen Aid dishwasher.

Open minded to any and all suggestions

Comments (6)