SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tig488

bermuda thin and dry, needs to be revived.

tig488
9 years ago

just joined the forum, lots of great info BTW, needing help with my contractor bermuda lawn. appx 12 years old, has dwindled pretty much every year until now, i finally had enough and plan on getting it back in order. ive been getting treatments by a couple of different companies over the
years because i was lazy AND uncertain about lawn care, but after
reading on this site and the bermuda bible, i think im gonna cancel that
service.

i have a small yard, maybe 2000 ft2, with 2 large oak trees, it started out just really thin at the bases and in the shadow of those trees, but now its thinning everywhere. the roots of these trees are making their way upward and coming up in the lawn as far out as 15-20 ft from the base. my lawn is sloped and i get a fair bit of runoff during heavy rains and watering. i also have a lot of thatch, or what looks like thatch, but its mainly where the water lifts and carries it downstream until it clumps together in large piles. i try to rake that out when i see it. i had the lawn core aerated last year, that didnt really help. our subdivision is on a hill, with very rock, hard, compact soil and clay.

im trying to gather up all the info i can on the subject and start now since i have small green sprouts popping up as of a few days ago, so i was planning on mowing tomorrow at the lowest setting on my mower. im buying a new blade and plan on sending a soil sample to logan labs also. i also going to treat with baby shampoo and nitrogen. ill water it 2-3 days a week in low amounts so that it doesnt runoff. also, the area under the trees still gets 8+ hours of sunlight, and ive cut the low hanging tree limbs off as far up as i could so as to not damage the tree in the process.

i see where people say mow, mow, mow. but right now its so thin and dusty, is that helping now or is it too early? ill post a pic soon, and post up the results of the soil test.

Comments (22)