SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
akl_vdb

WWYD re: tile in bathroom/mudroom

akl_vdb
9 years ago

So my DH thought that before we put all our baseboards and casings on (and thanks for the help here on picking the colour!), we should change our vinyl in our powder room and mudroom to tile. I was in agreement, as it meant also that a new little vanity in our powder room would be no issue.

The tile guy came today to take a look at the space. He did our front foyer so I trust him and he did a great job. We essentially have 2 options.

1) tile over the existing vinyl. It would be 1/2 inch higher than the hardwood floor next to it.

2) take down the subfloor and redo, so it can be the same height as the existing hardwood.

issue with this is that if the subfloor is nailed, not a lot to take up and it should be fine. If it is glued it will cause a lot of dust and could be a day and a half of just taking subfloor up. And the dust. Oh the dust.

I don't like the idea of the powder room floor being higher. He said our hardwood guy could possibly slope up the hardwood so it's gentle, not a big step. Still don't love the idea.

So WWYD?

Thanks!

Comments (19)