SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roots_feeding

Apricots, Hunza and Manchurian blossom and flowering.

roots_feeding
9 years ago

Hi, I live in Oslo, Norway, which is around a 5b or 6a, with frost free nights from mid april, with the occasional night frost even in may...

I'm planning to grow apricots and are looking at the late blooming varieties and I have done some research. I need an apricot that blooms in late april, early may. I can live with the occational loss of crop due to frost in cold years, but I do not want to plant trees that will not bear fruit,

I have extensive winters that get down to -20C which is around -4F, but this winter it was around -17,5C around -0,5F and that lasts for four months, so I think that the Himalayan and east Asian apricot varieties is best for me...

I have ordered organically dried Hunza apricots with pits and I'm hoping that they are not pasteurized or radiated and that they will stratify and grow well.... (I know they might not be the true seeds, but will chance it, hoping that the orchard only cultivated one variety)

I have also ordered some Manchurian apricot seeds and want to grow this bush apricot as a pollinator and to give shade to my car...

My question being, will they bloom at the same time? and will they cross pollinate?
How far away can the trees be from each other?

Can I use other Prunus species as pollinators ?

I'm thinking of planting:
Beach Plum Prunus maritima
European Plum (Opal and Reine Claude Verte) Prunus domestica
Tart Cherry (Fanal) Prunus cerasus
Cold Hardy Peach (Riga and Wunder von Perm) Prunus pesica
Nanking Cherry Prunus tomentosa

Will any of these pollinate the apricots, if the apricot blossom is out of synch ?
When planting seedlings, should I keep them on their own roots or use a rootstock ?
Will namaguard fair well in my climate??

Hope to hear from any apricot growers as soon as possible.

Best regards

- F

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz