SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elmbelle

help! trying to identify the issue...

Erin Powell
9 years ago

I live in Tulsa Oklahoma (zone 7) and purchased these 3 beautiful "midnight blaze" azaleas last fall and planted them next to our front porch. They are on the north east corner of the house and only a few hours of early morning sun. They are planted behind/around a very large holly tree that is very dense and provides full afternoon shade and the house gives full shade in the evenings.

This winter, to protect them, I put lots of leaf mulch around them to keep them "warm" and to protect from possible snow/ice damage. We are zone 7, but sometimes can be a little zone 6ish...

This picture is at least a month after planting them and they still looked healthy.

But alas...

There are 3 possible causes I can think of:

1. fertilizer burn - in an attempt to make a more "comfortable environment" for them, there is a good possibility I overdid it on the acid fertilizer. I added peat moss and granulated azalea fertilizer to the holes before planting and to the top of the soil afte; then later in the fall I added an deluted soil acidifier (yes.. yes.. I realize I went a little overboard, which is why my first guess if fertilizer burn.

2. cold damage - we had a bit of snow and ice and I noticed the leaves curling during the really cold months, but they would usually fluff back out again when it warmed up. I also tryed to water them a few times when we would have a warmer spell.

3. not enough sun - partly why I put azaleas in this spot is because they are shade-loving, but I've read recently the "midnight blaze" is for sun/partial shade. These get mostly shade. The holly tree is very dense and does not let in much light. I also worry a little bit about the competition with the holly's root system - it is extensive and close to the surface (much like an azaleas would be)

Here are a few pictures from farther away:

I have noticed that it has little bits of new growth, but most of the leaves that were making the plants look so fluffy and healthy have dropped off, making them much more scraggly looking.

I'm open to suggestions! I hoped they would work in their current location, but I have other parts of the garden that get more sun that they can be moved (but they would be slightly less protected)

Or maybe it's hopeless. Any suggestions for what to do if burned by fertilizer???

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor