SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20103024

Love my New Front Door, But It's Still Cold in Entryway

User
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I have my new steel entry door installed with new sidelites. What an improvement! Gone are the rotted frames, the hollow light-as-air old door, the single-pane sidelites. The new door looks--as my neighbor said--"substantial". It's Home Guard solid steel entry door, it's got heft, and there is a bit of a tug needed to open it, which to me indicates it's sealed and weathertight. Every time I go in or out of it, I admire how good it looks and feels. There's weatherstripping all around it, really great. Then why is it still so cold in my entry hall? It's always been cold there; it's been difficult to greet or say good-bye to guests in front of the door cause it's so cold, and I had hoped for greater temperature comfort with the new door and sidelites.

Is there any "culprit" I should be looking for? I do not feel an actual draft in front of the door, and I have put my hand along the door edges, along the trim edges, and down at the threshold, and do not feel any draft. My instant-read thermometer drops about 5 degrees in the entry hall, which I expect will be worse in the dead of winter. The installer did enlarge/widen the trim around the door/sidelites from what it was before; does that indicate anything?

Comments (4)