SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cbmullen

John Deere Or Cub Cadet?

cbmullen
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I'm going to buy a new lawn tractor this Spring and I've narrowed my decision down to two brands, two models for each brand.

I've been researching John Deere 100 Series lawn tractors for quite some time. I realize that they are good mowers but the fuel tanks are too small and I've read an abundance of comments concerning trouble with the hydrostatic transmissions before and just after the warranty expires. The two year, 200 hours warranty seems a little thin to me.

I've also done a lot of online research on the 2015 Cub Cadet models. I don't particularly care for the boxy shape of the front of these Cub Cadet models but I do favor the Kohler V-Twin engines. I believe that the hydrostatic transmissions in the two models I've researched could possibly be the same (produced by the same company but not necessarily the same model #) as those in the two John Deere models. I like the larger fuel tank on the Cub Cadets.

I know that the John Deere models I'm looking at are either assembled or made somewhere in Tennessee and that the Cub Cadet models are either assembled or made in Cleveland, Ohio. I know that Cub Cadet is owned by MTD. I've read good and bad reviews for both companies, which is to be expected. I think the John Deere is probably of a higher quality than Cub Cadet but I don't particularly care for B&S engines. The four models I'm considering all have V-Twin engines but I believe John Deere has B&S make engines for them that are either better or stronger than the standard B&S engines. I've always preferred Kohler over B&S. The Troy-Bilt riding mower I had in the nineties had a Kohler engine and I was quite impressed with both the mower and the engine. However, it seems that Troy-Bilt has gone downhill since being bought out of bankruptcy proceedings by MTD and yes, as i previously mentioned, I'm aware that Cub Cadet and several other brands are owned and produced by MTD.

These are the models I'm comparing:

John Deere D140 Versus
Cub Cadet XT1 Enduro Series LT 46 in. 22 HP V-Twin Kohler Hydrostatic

John Deere D155 Versus
XT1 Enduro Series LT 50 in. 24 HP V-Twin Kohler Hydrostatic

I've had trouble trying to discover which model hydrostatic transmissions the Deere models come with. I realize that all four of these models are sold in "Big Box" stores and that they are in the lower price range, where "you get what you pay for" applies. However, I will purchase the John Deere from my local John Deere dealer or the Cub Cadet from my local Tractor Supply dealer. It's a matter of service, you know.

Thank you in advance for your time and any assistance provided. I appreciate it very much. I'm leaning toward one of the John Deere models, inferior warranty and transmission problems be damned.

Comments (126)

• Mark Workman
    8 years ago

Tractor Supply has the XT1 46 on sale for $1599. What makes it too big? Its only 2 inches on each side.

• andrelaplume2
    8 years ago
    I will check it out then. I guess you're right. I also just looked at a Husqvarna for the same price at Lowes. It has a Briggs two cylinder engine. It supposedly has a all metal transmission. It also has a 3 year warranty. The unit supposedly of a thicker gauge than the deer I'm not sure about the cup. I also can get 10 percent off my purchase at Lowes with a coupon I have. tough decision. the only other thing would be the Husqvarna dealer is right down the street. The car dealer is many many miles away. But I plan on looking into both of them.
  • Related Discussions

Battle between John Deere, Cub Cadet, Honda, and Husqvarna

Q

Comments (17)
    Ok, here's an update on this Honda HRR: After my first Mulch Mow, I'm rather disappointed. I get clippings all over my face and around and behind the mower. I thought the point of mulching mowing was to keep all the grass clippings under the deck as you mow...yes/no? Another thing I'm disappointed about is the height adjustment, it only goes up to 3.25" and my KBG wants to be 4" tall in the summer. The Quaddra cut does a fine job cutting the clippings, but grass leaves don't show a clean cut like I was expecting. On the possitive side, it's light weigh (about 83 lbs) the engine runs and sounds great, fuel efficient, little to no rear wheel resistance when turning, and good looks. Anyway, I think I'm going to return it and purchase a John Deere or Cub Cadet. Between the John Deere and Cub Cadet listed at the beginning of the thread, which one is the better machine? Your imput will be greatly appreciated, thanks. Auteck
    ...See More

John Deere vs Cub Cadet

Q

Comments (19)
    I have worked at a lawn mower shop for several years. We've sold both cub cadet and John Deere. This is what I can tell you. John deere's quality has had a big drop, just like everything nowadays. one of the best mowers you can buy for the money is a cub cadet ltx 1042kw. It has a good Kawasaki engine and hydrostatic drive. If you get it from a dealer and not farm supply etc. you get a free front bumper to protect your hood when it's on the trailer or just mowing. Hoods can get over 500 dollars. John Deere about 5 years ago, was the brand I would recommend. But, now I'm afraid nothing runs like a cub. If you can spend more money on a mower, I would recommend a zforce s 48 inch. It is a true zero turn with a steering wheel. The front wheels turn like a normal mower, and the back ones spin like a stick zero turn. Just driving it is very convincing, it is very agile. It runs so smooth and is very nice to ride with the pivoting front axle. How many yards are flat like the floor of a showroom. Just my opinions of driving and working on both of them, hope I helped. Oh, if you mow several yards or a lot of land, check out the commercial line, the highest quality you can get besides a hustler. But without the 10000 dollar price tag.
    ...See More

Advice - Cub versus Deere purchase

Q

Comments (8)
    I had that problem so I bought one of each back in 2003 a Cub Cadet then a John Deere.But the Cub Cadet i-series I just do not think there built like the other Cub Cadets?Im not much of an ALL Wheel Steer fan either.I spent a lot of time on a John Deere 445 All Wheel Steer several years ago at work.We always felt it was more of a sales gimick then anything.A foot operated hydro was more valuable then All Wheel Steer to us. I would put the money toward a notch larger tractor then putting in into All Wheel Steer but thats just my opinion.You can get a John Deere X320 for about the same price if you twist there arm a little maybe $100.00 more.With a 48'' deck you can go right around a tree with its tight turning radius.What you gain is a heavier hydro for the money. If you really need manuvarability then a Z turn is the way to go.I do not own a Z turn but do they really take up anymore storage space?
    ...See More

Garden Tractor Rototiller

Q

Comments (22)
    Sounds as though you did find something cheap that will last into the future. Hard to go wrong with a JD 316. Here are a couple of links that you might find helpful. http://www.deere.com/en_US/homeowners/products_non_current/316.html The Onan is a very good engine but you need to take care of it. Change the oil every 50 hours and check it often. Keep the oil level at the full mark all the time. Parts for Onans are expensive because they are now discontinued. However, if that tractor is in excellent condition, it is worth repowering. Small Engine Warehouse has been known to offer a 20 hp Honda engine that is spec'd correctly for your application. Here is a link that might be useful: 316
    ...See More
  • cbmullen
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Well, I suppose it's time for me to chime in on this discussion. I bought the JD S240 from my local JD dealer on May 01 and have used it three times. I like it. It's a well engineered lawn tractor and I'm sure it will last me a long time. I don't think much of the Oregon Gator mulching blades I bought for it and I thought it would run quieter than it does but it is what it is. The dealer installed the Gator blades at no cost to me and gave me a full tank of gas and free delivery. The JD employee who delivered it spent appx. 45 minutes going over everything I would need to know.

As you already know, I was also interested in the CC XT2 LX46, which has a larger Kawasaki engine (perhaps not the same series as the JD but I don't know) than the JD S240. My interest grew as it became closer to the purchase date so I called the CC dealer with a few questions. He was out of stock with the XT2 LX46 but informed me that he had more of them, with the Kawasaki engine, arriving in three or four days and would call me when he received them.

I honestly believe that the CC XT2 LX46 is a good lawn tractor and may have performed as well as the JD S240. I don't particularly care for the boxy front end of the XT series lawn tractors but that's not something that would have prevented me from buying it. It has a better warranty than the S240.

Why did I go with the JD? Actually, there are several reasons. I will get excellent service from the JD dealer, the blades were installed at no cost to me, they gave me a full tank of gas, they provided free delivery and one of their employees spent time with me explaining everything I needed to know. Why did I not consider the CC at the time of purchase? As those reading this discussion already know, the CC dealer wasn't really interested in me as a consumer but only as a potential sale, immediately trying to upsell me and add attachments. The CC dealer promised to call me when the new shipment of LX46 lawn tractors arrived. I haven't heard a word from him. The CC dealer wanted $50 to deliver it.

Now, the BIG reason I finally went with the S240. Warranty repair and service; that's important to me. I have read over and over and over again about CC corporate denying warranty coverage because "the lawn tractor wasn't properly adjusted/calibrated at the time of sale or delivery". To me, that is pure, unadulterated BS. It's a copout. It was the determining factor that led me to go with JD. I have nothing against CC lawn tractors and they seem to be good machines but a product is only as good as the company behind it and CC fails miserably in this regard. I could have saved $500 by going with the LX46 but the money saved is not worth the potential denial of warranty coverage by CC corporate.

I want to once again thank everyone for their input. I appreciate it very much.

• Mark Workman
    8 years ago

Hi cbmullen, Glad to hear you like your JD. I said it earlier and I will say it again... The S240 is a nice machine just out of my budget. Thanks for the info on the gator blades.

Can you provide some links for the denial of warranty claims? I have looked and other than one or two instances that seemed flaky at best I can't find a pattern of warranty denial. Detailed info is appreciated.

Again glad you are happy with your S240 and thanks for checking back. I hope our discussion at least have you some entertainment. Lol

• jidusek
    8 years ago

I bought a cub from TSC with the extended warranty and it included transportation on repairs. I called a local dealer for a warranty problem and they charged me transportation for pick up and deliver,I sent the bill for the transport charges to TSC warranty division and they paid me the total amount. Also the warranty got you a 20% discount on parts bought from TSC for your mower,such as belts,blades, oil and filters. Naturally,since I had the warranty,tractor gave no trouble. I have always had very good service with my B&S engines they were never the reason for replacing my mower. I have implements over 20 years old and the B&S motors still run and start good.

• andrelaplume2
    8 years ago

Well I got one today...should actually have it next week. First, I skipped the Deere because the dealer did not seem all that interested in me as a customer...I suspect most of their sales are large farm equipment. Further, once out of warranty my local toro shop won't service it because said JD dealer does not discount them parts and further half the time does not have the parts in stock...hey that's there choice at least they were honest with me. FYI...my Toro dealer has no ax to grind...they don' really sell tractors unless Toto comes up with something new.

I looked at Husky at a nearby dealer. I liked the fact that it was at a local dealer and was impressed with the machine when I looked at it at Lowes. The dealer tried to get me to the Simplicity line saying they were better, and were having 'business issues' with the Husk company and might drop the line. Simplicities are too expensive for me. I really wanted a 42" Husk but I am unsure they make one. Lowes had a 46". The dealer had only one 48" left. He offered it (discount from $1900) for $1650. I learned it was a leftover from last year and he said it had a 2 year warranty where as I thought they all had 3.

Next was a cub dealer about 30 minutes away that a family member with a business touts and knows. To be honest it was going to be this or the Husk since that's about all thats left in my area unless I chose an Ariens or Troy Built and while I suspect they may have held up for me since I try to take care of my equipment...I did not want to take a chance to save a few hundred dollars....

The dealer had little stock. He did not have the $1500 42" jobber. I liked the fact that he said to stay away from the Kohler Courage engines. I though for sure he'd say he reported issues were anomalies.... He offered me a 46XT1 or a 42" XT2. They were both the same price. $1699. He had one 42" XT2 left...still crated. I got the XT2. Its a little smaller and is s a better fit for me. He says there a few upgrades over the XT1 46". He said it has an 18hp Kawasaki engine. He also said they come with 22hp Koehler 7000 series which was also a good engine. All he had was WKW so I took it site unseen. He gave me a mulch it kit at cost and will install and deliver it for free. I think the Tractor supply may have had the same one for $100 less...not sure...but then who services it? I know the dealers have to do it...but how fast they get to it is another story.

A note on my experience...none of these dealers seemed thrilled with the notion of servicing stuff from big bix stores. So I got one from a dealer, a bit farther away, who family has a connection, who was honest about the Courage engine. I hope I made the right choice! Glad that's over with!

Thanks All...

• leafeanator
    8 years ago

Wasn't that fun!! You are all set if you are a Steelers fan. My son is a big Steelers fan and just bought a Cub Z-Force SZ 48 commercial yesterday - way more than most people need but he cuts a lot of hilly yards. The color was a big deciding factor for his decision.

• Mark Workman
    8 years ago

We are big Columbus Blue Jackets fans here so I asked my son if the mower was a Penguins fan or Bruins fan. He called me out to the garage and said the mower was a Pens fan but has come to his senses. He put a Blue Jackets bumper magnet on the mower. Haha. Gotta love kids.

• Mark Workman
    8 years ago

Andrelaplume2 - Congrats on spending money! :) I think you got a fantastic mower. I wanted to get the XT2 42 with the Kawasaki but they have stopped making them and my dealer didn't have any. You must have gotten one of the last ones. Consider yourself lucky.

Good to get some confirmation about the Courage problems from a dealer.

I have already moved on to thinking about building a shed. Now where are those forums where people debate sheds?.... :)

• leafeanator
    8 years ago

Mark here is a shed starter for you, I posted the big shed post #19

http://www.mytractorforum.com/52-workshops-garage-shed-discussions/757618-building-shed-2.html

• Mark Workman
    8 years ago

Oh no....I am thinking about a 10x12. I can hear it now... If you don't build a 20x20 minimum then you shouldn't build anything.

• andrelaplume2
    8 years ago
    Speaking of sheds I hope the new cub will make it up my ramp its 4 foot wide in my shed doors have a 60 inch wide opening I think it should fit. Yeah I was surprised about the Kawasaki to because I thought I remember you saying there was a 7000 series Kohler. I looked in the brochure and noticed that the Kohler was 22 horsepower and the Kawasaki is only 18 so I hope that's not going to be a problem. I hope there was no issue with Kawasaki and that's why they discontinued it as well. Personally I don't know what the difference is. Thanks again. now I have to figure out what to do with my old Toro.
  • wheely_boy
    8 years ago

Better hold on to the Toro for when your new Cub catches fire!

• andrelaplume2
    8 years ago

Hey..I thought that was only the Courage engines...son of...now I have to start all over again. You know I saw a red husky at TS..it really did not look bad...I don't think fire would waste its time on it...

• Mark Workman
    8 years ago

Andrelaplume2 - Don't waste your time responding to that guy. He is just here to be immature even though he is probably older than both of us. Its actually kind of sad.

• rexlex
    8 years ago

Plume/Workman - The only time "boy" (aka roller girl) is happy is when he thinks he has made a joke at someone else's expense on this forum; a pest sorta like a skeeter on a summer nite.
    But... He's got a thin skin so be ready for more incoming.

• Mark Workman
    8 years ago

Cbmullen - Can you let us know where you heard about Cub Cadet denying valid warranty claims over and over and over again? It's not because I don't believe you, it's that I couldn't find it and would like to see it. Thanks.

• wheely_boy
    8 years ago

All I do is make fun of inanimate objects and you guys resort to personal attacks. And I am immature and have thin skin??

• lt150
    8 years ago

I agree wheely_boy. I have always enjoyed your comments over the years.

• Mark Workman
    8 years ago

The problem is that you are trying to influence people spending their hard earned money when you know nothing about the facts. You do this not to be helpful but because you think its funny. Yes that is immature.

If you have something useful to add then please join otherwise do us a favor and keep your jokes to yourself. If they were at least funny I would let you slide but they are not.

• Mark Workman
    8 years ago

Cbmullen - Can you let us know where you heard that Cub Cadet has denied valid warranty claims over and over and over again?

That is a pretty big charge that I am sure would interest anyone who is researching the Cub Cadet.

Like I mentioned I have been unable to verify any of those claims that's why I need you to show what you saw. Thanks.

• cbmullen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I've been researching lawn tractors for over a year. I came across several articles that mentioned CC corporate denying warranty claims due to "improper setup". I'll have to look for the articles and I'll post them if I find them.

I have nothing against CC lawn tractors. Actually, I came very close to buying the XT2 LX46, which would have saved me $500. I'm sure I would have been happy with it and in all likelihood the longevity of JD and CC could possibly be the same or very close.

I wish my JD had some kind of suspension. I have six huge oak trees and the squirrels do quite a bit of damage to the lawn. The lawn is basically level but it's not flat by any means. The small depressions and bumps are a real killer so I go slow when I mow.

What's the deal on oil for these newer lawn tractors? The JD dealer tells me that regular oil is just fine but I've seen it discussed on many occasions that synthetic oil is better after the first five or eight hour oil change. I've been looking at AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke 10W30 Small engine oil, Kawasaki K-Tech 4-Cycle engine oil, John Deere Turf-Gard multi-Viscosity 4-Cycle oil and Mobil 1. Any ideas or recommendations?

Again, I don't want anyone to think that I'm bashing the CC line of lawn tractors. I am not. If anything, my criticism is directed toward the CC dealer. I've researched all the residential lawn tractors under $3000. I've taken them for test drives and I've been on my hands and knees checking out everything under them. I've checked the thickness of the deck metal, the transmissions, the bearing situation, the spindles and everything else that one should check. With the exception of the CC XT series, I felt that the others simply didn't compare with the quality of the JD. The JD dealer is what drove me over the line when selecting the mower I wanted. The dealer is considerate, knowledgeable and has a fully staffed service department. Also, the JD K46 transmission in the S240 is a heavier duty transmission than the K46 in the LX46. The JD seat is much better but then again, the LX46 steers easier. I would have bought a LX46 with the Kawasaki engine over the LX46 with the Kohler engine. The Kawasaki in the CC is more powerful than the one in the S240, although they may be different series.

Did I make the right decision? Maybe yes and maybe no. The fact of the matter is that each person will buy what he or she prefers and his or her decision should be respected. For some, it's a matter of money. For others, it's a matter of preference and brand loyalty. All in all, it is what it is.

• andrelaplume2
    8 years ago

This is an investment in not only a piece of equipment but potentially a dealer as well. You made the right choice. Ironically, in my area, I too was looking at a Deere. I had the opposite dealer experience though. My Deere dealer introduced me to the line with a brochure...he did not seem very interested in my business. With the cub dealer I have a family connection. Further I believe the cub XT2 42 with the KAW engine is on part with a similarly priced Deere. I hope I am right!

• Mark Workman
    8 years ago

No doubt both of you made good choices. I would be happy with either.

I never said that cbmullen ever questioned the CC product. My only question is still about the alleged systematic denial of valid warranty claims. I find it hard to believe, not impossible to believe, but hard to believe that MTD would expose themselves to such a risk. If that did happen there would be lawyers lined up for a class action against MTD.

• backinthesaddleagain
    8 years ago

With regards to oil...this is my view:

A new engine needs to break in...rings, bearings, seals, etc...all need to wear in / seat. I ran my new engine for the first season of mowing on standard non-synthetic 10w-30 for initial break in. After this first season (about 30 hours or so), I switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic 10w-30. The extra cost for synthetic is insignificant so why not use a higher quality oil with better overall stability, extreme temperature capability, and better lubricity. But really, the key factor relative to oil is keeping it clean. It does not matter how good the oil is if it's dirty and filled with abrasive contaminants. Pay attention to the color of the oil and as soon as it starts getting dark...change it. It's cheap insurance.

• tberk9
    8 years ago

This has been a great and informative thread. I just moved into a house with an acre of heavily wooded mature oak trees in the back with a rise of 25-30 degrees yard bottom to back of house and decent incline in font yard . I am ready to purchase a JD X320 within the week. From research and forums I'm thinking the extra HP and bigger tranny will be needed. 48 inch deck will help with edging/tree cuts due to the added deck distance from tractor wheels. I will use a spreader, and may pull fallen trees/limbs, but no plowing / tilling. Want to upgrade to mulch kit as there will be a crapload of leaves come fall. Any thoughts ?? This will be my first lawn tractor. So.... Big price point ( $4400) and i really have no comparisons in Cub or Husqv lines. 4 JD dealers within 40 minutes of me. ( Chicago area). I will test drive this weekend.. How much wiggle room is there on final pricing ?? JD is only running the 100 bucks off << geez thx JD ! Thanks for anyone's time to read and respond..

• cbmullen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I don't think you'll find any "wiggle room" with a JD dealer. To the best of my knowledge the only way to receive any type of incentive on a JD lawn tractor through a JD dealer is if it is offered by JD corporate, which they usually do during parts of the Spring and Fall seasons, although Home Depot and Lowes offer free trailers, baggers and other items on the entry level lawn tractors they sell. I would have purchased a JD X300 instead of the S240 if I had known about the $300 incentive for the X300 before it expired. My S240 is basically a cheaper version of the X300, utilizing the same engine, transmission, wheels and tires.

• tberk9
    8 years ago

Headed to test drive this week / weekend. After reading your thread, and all prices being equal.. It's all about personal feelings on how the dealer treated you.

• andrelaplume2
    8 years ago
    Generally I like purchasing from the dealer for a variety of reasons however at times Lowes or Home Depot may have a good deal going like a free cart or something along those lines. For example Lowes was offering a $250 gift card with the purchase of a John Deere tractor this weekend I'm not sure if that is still on. Furthermore you can pick up a Lowes movers certificate which gets you 10% off your entire purchase. It's all about how you feel about buying from the big box store vs your local dealer and how your local dealer feels about that. Good luck.
  • andrelaplume2
    8 years ago

Mark, how do you like your cub?

Mine was delivered last Friday. We are in a drought and I have nothing to cut! Best I can do is drive it around! My first impressions are that its not as tight and sound as my old Toro. To be fair that was a 32" single blade smaller unit. Also to be fair, the JD in this price range was no better nor the Ariens. I am not cutting down these machines. Things change over time. The cub has the auto tranny, better tires, bigger cut and hopefully an engine that will last as long as the ole toro. I had a little trouble locking the brake but I think I got the hang of it. The paint job is not 100% on the one side. I am really looking forward to seeing what it can do..its finally raining so maybe I'll get a chance soon.

• Mark Workman
    8 years ago

I have used it a few times so far. So far so good. Its make the grass shorter and it hadn't given any problems, so I am happy.

I don't seem to have any paint issues that I can see. Can you post a pic of your paint defect? Maybe if I see what you are referring to it may pop out to me on mine.

• ryguymaineah
    8 years ago

Firstly, I would just like to say that this thread is wonderful, inappropriate jokes and all. It is great to have such a community of helpful (and maybe not-so-helpful) experience shared, definitely restores a lil faith in humanity. That being said, we are talking tractors here, not deep philosophy...

So I find myself in a position similar to that of the OP, I bought a house on a 2 acre lot, originally had a small backyard and plenty of bush growth (alder, birch, poplar, etc.) as the lot was originally farm land (mostly white pine trees, about 8in diameter trunk avg. and maybe 20ft tall). Long story short(ish) - I have been making more lawn for myself. I started with a hand-me-down Weed Eater 20in push mower. Man that hurts the hands, talk about non-ergo friendly handles! 'Upgraded' last summer to a 22in Craftsman self-propelled. Not a bad machine, but I keep clearing more brush (yes, using the mower - no, not the best idea - yes, I have all but destroyed it, but it still runs and cuts, if barely!) so the time needed to mow keeps increasing. I have an 18 month old and would love to spend less time mowing and more time playing (although he would just LOVE to ride on a mower with Dad!). Anywho, finally getting the boss's approval to get a riding mower...

Here's the dilemma. Not a ton of mowing area to be accomplished, mostly a flat yard, but I want something that can...and here it comes, I can see the outrage now...possibly not fall apart while 'mowing' some brush. I don't have a ton left to get the initial clearing done with, so it will eventually just be 'lawn', but keeping some of the paths clear will inevitably require running over some brush. Is this a pipe-dream or would something like the X300 be worthy? Also want to use a snowblower attachment...there's another whole discussion...

I will leave it at that for now. Whatcha got?

• rexlex
    8 years ago

don't think the x300 or similar is well suited to your rough area wants. Mebbe better to get something like a walk behind brush cutter. Look at DR.

BTW, small children and powered lawn eqpt just don't mix. Too dangerous. Keep one away from the other, period.

• ryguymaineah
    8 years ago

Thanks Rex! Appreciate you reading through all that. Yeah, I had considered a brush cutter, but I don't even have a riding lawn mower yet, so spending any additional money on other equipment is out of the question. I could rent one, but since I plan on buying a riding mower in the foreseeable future, I will just use my push-behinds to clear brush as I have been doing all along. Really not that much more to clear in all honesty, so should be fine. I was more trying to gauge exactly how 'rugged' people feel mowers in this range/category are. I do get that the more you abuse your machinery, the more maintenance and money you have to spend on it. Just interested in how much abuse others put their mowers through. My family had a CC growing up, don't know the model but it was right in this same range. We beat the ever-lovin' out of that thing and couldn't kill it, was hoping they are still on par.

Let's not get into the parenting thing. Suffice it to say I am not going to allow my 18 month old anywhere near dangerous equipment. That said, an occasional ride on the mower with Dad sounds pretty reasonable. Not like I am letting him at the chainsaw or anything...yet. ;-)

After re-reading my post, I realized that I essentially asked the wrong question in the wrong discussion, so apologies all. A better phrasing:

I have about an acre and a quarter of rougher lawn to mow. This is a little more area and sounds at least a little rougher than the OP's situation, and I do want to get 'a step up from what I need' in order to not overtax my new investment etc. The X300 is the max price range I can look into, does anyone think that will be just asking too much of that machine? Do I have any other options?

• rexlex
    8 years ago

X300 is considered classified as a lawn tractor vs. a garden tractor. The lawn tractors will do a good job on landscaped finished property with established lawn grass and smooth ground. The garden tractors are built a bit heavier and can take more "punishment", in general.

But , IMHO, neither do very well in rough, brushy areas. Their deck blades, steering, tires, trannies and mower deck shells are all challenged when used in that environment.

one "out" might be to look at renting a walk behind brush cutter for one or two sessions.... then take a hard look at what it would be like to then to cut with a regular mower then.

If you think it's possible to mow at that point, suggest looking for a good used garden tractor with a 42 - 48 deck and mebbe a snowblower attachment - and have at it :) And remember, a good dealer is yer best friend... no BBS.

• User
    8 years ago

There's a big difference in grief and cost between maintenance and repair. Timely maintenance proves a good investment in prolonging the service life of any tool. Repair is more costly, less timely, and usually more frustrating.

The X300 shares the SAME frame, electrical system, steering hardware, and mowing deck (if you get the 48") as the X5xx Select Series series garden tractors. The de-rating of the X300 down to a lawn tractor is the result of smaller wheels and lighter duty hydrostatic transaxle. IMO neither of these factors make the X300 less capable of doing what ryguymaineah is intending his purchase to do.

I live on 2 acres of high mountain rural lawn (field) with some pretty nasty stuff growing there and mow with my X500 garden tractor. Neighbor down the road has essentially the same property and mows with an X300. Our fields look the same after mowing and neither of our 2010 JDs has been out of service for a single second.

A used GT is worth investigating but you might be buying someone's headache. An X300 will cost you but you get a long warranty, parts availability for a long time, service if you need it, and resale value no other brand has for when you want something BIGGER. Another plus is that any attachments you buy on the X300 invoice get grandfathered into the tractors 48 month or 300 hours warranty. So consider budgeting for a bagger, snowblower, trailer/cart, or any other goodies you'll want down the road and buy them with the X300.

Get down to the JD dealer and drive one remember Slammer's Rules...

1. Carefully evaluate the size mower you need and buy at least one size larger.

2. NEVER buy a mower from ANYPLACE that will not let you test drive it or at least a similar model. Ergonomics are just as important as performance and capability. (Vitally important!)

3. DO NOT base your purchase on price or brand name alone! Do proper research and find all of the available models that fit your criteria and haggle, save, or trade to get the right equipment for the job. Do not compromise!

If you follow these three tips you will end up a happy camper with just the right unit for the job. If you disregard this advice your gonna end up with One or the other of the following problems:

A. Buyers remorse. Stuck with a piece of junk or simply a unit inadequate for the task at hand.

Or..

B. A teed off spouse when you start shopping for another tractor just 3 - 6 months down the road because you didn't buy the right unit in the first place.

• rexlex
    8 years ago

yeah.. thet x300 lawn tractor w/48inch deck and snoblower will set you back around 5 G's....

• ryguymaineah
    8 years ago

Thanks to Lurker and Rex!

Not QUITE 5g's Rex, but close enough. Planning on doing the tractor first and then the blower next year. So the gap should help the pain (although not taking 2 hours to snowblow and 4 hours to mow will DEFINITELY be of help as well).

Lurker, do you know the warranty situation for a blower when purchased separately? I would consider doing it all at once if there was a significant discount, but otherwise it's probably too exp. for me to do right off the bat. Either way, I think that the X300 sounds just about perfect for my needs based on your description of your neighbors and your lawn. My lawn is definitely mostly all brand new lawn, if sparse, so the majority is pretty easy but the spots that I have cleared and areas that I wish to clear sound exactly like what you describe as your 'high mountain rural lawn' - lol love that term! Want something as rugged as I can get without actually buying a GT, unless I absolutely have to.

...and thanks to cbmullen for lettin' us jack his thread. :-)

• User
    8 years ago

Warranty on attachments is one year. With a 44" blower you'll need a couple suitcase weights and chains.

Get the 48" deck. It's better than the 42" and the 4 anti-scalp wheels on the 48" rotate so you can just roll the deck out from under the tractor. When you get good at it it's 5 minutes to remove and a little longer to install. If you get a Harbor Freight furniture dolly to sit the blower on it's about 15 minutes to install that once the deck is removed and you don't need a single tool to R&R the deck or the blower. You pay for quality and engineering and you get it... for some people that's not worth the price.

There are a couple current promotions on the X300...

No-Interest if Paid in Full within 12 Months

4.9% APR for 48 Months

JD often has discounts in the fall so you might want to get to the dealer. The dealer may know about upcoming promos and drive one while you're there.

• ryguymaineah
    8 years ago

Totally! Going to get over there soon. There's one not 15 miles from my house. Thanks for everything guys!

• ryguymaineah
    8 years ago

Well that just made it much harder...

Made it over yesterday, the wife was out of town so the lil guy and I went to check out some tractors! Boy did he have a blast (so did Dad). But now I am in REAL trouble. They are offering $200 off the S240, which makes the package that much more appealing. I am really torn; I want to get something to fit my needs but want to spend as little as possible. Both the S240 and the X300 can have snowblowers, but I won't be able to get one for this winter, with the budget I am working with. The X300 with the 42" deck would by my max, at 3k. Then the S240 is at $2299. Now I have to take a real hard look at whether or not the S240 can hack it for me.

• User
    8 years ago

The S240 has proven to be a good seller for JD. It is a new model with no field service history. It is a LAWN tractor in every aspect. Less money than an X300 and less warranty in hours and months. Snowblowers for either are close to the same price.

Remember Slammer's rule #1... Carefully evaluate the size mower you need and buy at least one size larger. The extra you'd pay now for an X300 over an S240 over the course of the warranty and/or the service life of both models is pennies a day and a good investment.

I'd want the GT frame and steering of the Select Series over the LT S240. I'd also want the 48" deck on the X300. If you can't get the deal you want on the X300 then wait till the fall when mowers aren't selling as well and see if the dealer wants to work with you or there might be a CASH off promo.

cbmullen thanked User
  • ryguymaineah
    8 years ago

Ugh so true. $3400...it WILL probably be worth it in the long run, I will likely upgrade in the future anyway so max value retention...any worth to the X310 with the power lift and steering? $600 more...I would guess not, especially given budget restraints, and that it doesn't appear that you can get it with the 48in deck.

• leafeanator
    8 years ago

The X310 will get you a little bit stronger transaxle also, think it can have the trans oil easily changed also. The power lift and steering I do not need. I have a X300 for 6 years now - love it.

cbmullen thanked leafeanator
  • Mark Workman
    8 years ago

Remember Mark's rule #1....Carefully evaluate the size mower you need and if you do it correctly spend the remaining money on a vacation.

cbmullen thanked Mark Workman
  • User
    8 years ago

My X500 steers with one finger even with the bigger front wheels and tires and the blower installed. One of the advantages of the better steering gear on the Select Series. I didn't want power steering with the added complexity and increased cost.

Hydraulic lift is really nice when the blower is installed. First winter with my X500 I used the pedal lift with the blower and it worked nicely but it's either up or down and on a gravel driveway I was throwing too much gravel. I increased the footprint of the skid shoes but that wasn't the solution. Next fall I bought the power lift kit (also works on the X300 http://www.superior-tech.com/front-attachments_03.php ) and that was the answer. Cost less to get that than the increase in price to the next model with hydraulic lift and power steering I didn't need or want.

If I were you I'd settle on the X300 with 48" deck and bide my time till there's an appealing promo. I bought my X500 in the fall and there was a $500 off deal. If your budget allows get the blower with the tractor cause the 4 year blower warranty is worth having.

cbmullen thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

"Remember Mark's rule #1....Carefully evaluate the size mower you need
    and if you do it correctly spend the remaining money on a vacation
    ". When you do it incorrectly budget to hire someone to mow your lawn while you're away on that vacation.

I don't recall ever reading a post from anyone that observing Slammer's Rules led them to make a decision they later regretted cause they just make sense.

cbmullen thanked User
  • Mark Workman
    8 years ago

Just giving a different opinion. Make your own decision instead of relying on some guy named slammer.

• off_ltd
    8 years ago

cbMullen, I figured you have purchased by now, and what did you settle on? (lost it in the posts) I was going out this week for the Cub Cadet XT1 46 in. This year the XT1 has the same status as the XT2.

If you had purchased the XT2 how is it doing, now that this post is over a year old?

I have a JD in the barn with a burn up motor, a Huskee GT with steering problems and zero turn Simplicity with blown hydraulic pumps. The hill the sweet cherry orchard is on, seems to be too much for these mowers. Yet the old Central Park is still going strong. No oil pump and on hot summer days it run great on the hill.
    O's Fruit Farm, Ltd. (Off)

cbmullen thanked off_ltd
  • cbmullen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hey off_ltd,

I bought the JD S240 from a local JD dealer. I didn't buy the extended warranty because it's basically a waste of money. My final considerations, after much research, were the JD 155, the JD 170, the JD S240 and the CC XT2 LX46. I went with the JD S240 because of the upgraded deck and transmission, which are the same as on the X300, and the Kawasaki engine. I prefer the Kawasaki engine over B&S and Kohler engines, although I will admit the B&S and Kohler engines offered in the models I was looking at are good engines. I've had B&S and Kohler engines before and I never had any problems with them.

If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with the JD D170 with the 54 inch deck or the CC XT2 LX54, even though I don't really like the boxy front ends of the new CC lawn tractors. Oh well, to each his own. The 42 inch deck on the S240 just doesn't give me a wide enough cut.

I'm not dissatisfied in any way with the S240. It seems to be a decent lawn tractor, although I wish these companies would put some kind of suspension on these lawn tractors. I put a mulching kit on it, the one that has the interior deck insert and I went with a set of Gator mulching blades. It does a really good job mulching and I get a nice, uniform cut. I'm thinking about getting a twin bagger attachment for it but I refuse to spend $350.00 for a few pieces of molded plastic. I won't buy it unless it's on sale at a much lower price.

I think the CC LX2 would have been a nice lawn tractor. I think I would have bought it if it had a different style but then again, as I've said, to each his own. CC offers a better warranty than JD.

Sponsored