SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northraleighguy

Lonicera sempervirens on house?

northraleighguy
9 years ago

I just found 'Major Wheeler' and bought it before having a dedicated space for it (classic gardener conundrum). I don't have any pergolas or arbors, and all of the fences in my backyard are all my neighbors' so I can't plant there in case they replace them (which I hope they do soon).

I do have a wooden lattices in front of my elevated deck (several panels, about 5 ft tall and wide) but when the lattice needs replacing I'll have to chop the vine so I'd rather have something herbaceous there like passionflowers I have now.

A final idea I had was to grow the honeysuckle up the gutter using a gutter trellis. The issues with that is the main one I'd love to do it on is on the corner of the screened-in deck and my wife has questions about bugs getting into the house from the vine (ants?). My other option is to grow it on the gutter on the other side but I'd have to grow it in a container since the ground around it is covered in a hardscape patio.

What are my options? Does the gutter trellis idea sound doable? Will I attract too many bugs up the side of my house? Should I try to grow it away from the house? Any pointers are most welcome.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County